SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Synscan and EQMOD

Hi, I'm a little confused about how I connect my mount to the PC through my Synscan using the EQMOD. I had thought that I only needed the cable which came with the Synscan unit but I'm pretty sure that's not right. Can anyone shed some light please? Thanks.

Hi, I'm a little confused about how I connect my mount to the PC through my Synscan using the EQMOD. I had thought that I only needed the cable which came with the Synscan unit but I'm pretty sure that's not right. Can anyone shed some light please? Thanks.

Yes, you can connect the PC to the mount via the synscan using the serial cable that come with the synscan - but to use this with EQMOD you will first need to put the synscan into PC-Direct mode.

Alternatively for a direct connection  (without the synscan) you can use a EQDIRECT cable such as the one Tinker1947 has linked to.

Chris.

Chris, thanks. So I have to put the synscan into PC mode first but then do I remove the cable from the handset and plug it into the computer? It's the actual wiring diagram I'm confused about..........any help is really appreciated.

Steve

I would suspect have it all connected first, but this is one of two option if it doesn't work do the other one you mentioned, i use a EQDirect cable can't say i have done either.....

Hi Steve, you need the serial cable that came with the handset to connect the synscan handset to your PC. It's the thin yellowy one, or at least mine is! If your PC doesn't have a serial port, and most modern ones don't, you will need a USB to serial adapter, such as this one (http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/usb-to-serial-9-pin-male-adapter-zp43w). You connect the handset to the mount as normal and connect the handset to the PC with that cable.

Next, with the mount powered up, you go to the 'Utilities' menu on the handset and select PC Direct connection (you don't need to go through the polar alignment or alignment star processes). Then you go into the EQMod set up screen and click the binocular icon to search for the serial port connection. It should come up with 'Com 4' or similar. You are then connected up and should be able to control the mount with EQMod and all connected software.

Great thing is, this is definitely a daytime / cloudy night activity. Good luck!

Archived