Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Self centre eyepiece adaptor.

Does anybody have any thoughts/wisdom on self centering eyepiece adaptors? I realise there are many reasons why my eyepiece/ccd/cheshire may be off centre but any attempt at improving this must be a good thing?

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/Revelation_Self_Centering_2__to_1.25__Eyepiece_Adaptor.html

I bought a Baader clicklock to replace the standard thumbscrew type adaptor supplied with my dob and when switching EP's it's a massive improvement just in terms of ease of use. The Revelation model you've linked to doesn't appear to have a lever but I imagine it's almost as easy to twist the top as it is to flick a lever. Theoretically any system that is evenly compressing from multiple sides should centre accurately and should be an improvement over a thumbscrew system that pushes from one side.

Centering matters less (within reason not at all) than parallelism.

Majority of contraptions used to secure eyepieces will tip/twist eyepiece as you secure the thumbscrews.

Part of the problem is the undercut on the eyepiece barrel.

...I realise there are many reasons why my eyepiece/ccd/cheshire may be off centre but any attempt at improving this must be a good thing?...

It doesn't matter at all, and improving it will not make a blind bit of difference.

Consider instead: Howie Glatter's Parallizer

Centering matters less (within reason not at all) than parallelism.

Majority of contraptions used to secure eyepieces will tip/twist eyepiece as you secure the thumbscrews.

Part of the problem is the undercut on the eyepiece barrel.

It doesn't matter at all, and improving it will not make a blind bit of difference.

Consider instead: Howie Glatter's Parallizer

Thanks Bambuko,

I had originally considered the HG Parallizer but had been talked out of it due to too many other variables such as quality of focuser.

Rob

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

... due to too many other variables such as quality of focuser...

Yes, I agree with you about that...

I had a go at designing and building my own focuser to address the problems of "cheap and nasty" :grin:

Quite pleased with results, but if you can't DIY the only alternative is spending real money on focuser as well :embarassed:

Archived