granddaughters 1st viewing

Hi every one, I would like some advice on what to observe on my granddaughters 1st viewing on December 25th ( weather permitting ). I have bought her a Skywatcher 130/900mm scope mounted on a Az Goto mount which I have already aligned. I did try to look at Uranus the other night but not successful, I was using a 25mm eyepiece. Oh, also advice on which eyepiece to use for what would be great as well, ( 10mm and 25mm ). I know this is a lot to ask for but thanks in advance

The moon clearly will be an awesome sight. I would also look at M45 Pleiades, the Double Cluster in Perseus.  M42 Orion Nebula, this could be a little under whelming for a first trip out. The other objects that Paul mentions are also good calls. M31 Andromeda Galaxy is nice and high, but again not the most visually impressive object to observe.

If you manage to get our just after it gets dark and you have a really good West Horizon, then maybe M13 would be worth a shot. But its going to be pretty low down.

I remember being completely blown away by the double cluster.

Jupiter rises about 10pm, so will be in turbulent air for a good few hours, but if you're still up it might be worth a look. 

Dinsdale

The 25mm eyepiece will give a magnification of 36x and the 10mm 90x. It is best to start with the 25mm as this will give you a larger field of view, ie let you see a larger area of the sky. Once you have found your target you can step up to the 10mm for a closer look.

+1 for the Orion Nebula, it blew me away the first time I looked at it through a 'scope.

If you haven't done so already, download Stellarium, it's free and one of the best astro programs available. Buying Turn Left at Orion would also be a good plan :) 

Albireo is quite stunning - one of the few double star objects showing a good contrast of colour - I think she'll love it. Also - just down and to the left a bit of Albireo is the coat hanger asterism. It's quite interesting and will be a shape she probably recognises. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Tommy,

The Moon is forecast to be full on the 25th.  It will certainly be an eye-stunner, but little detail to be seen; however it will make for a splendid inauguration, and a memory to cherish.  The Moon is best viewed as it waxes towards and wanes away from a full phase, as these images of mine illustrate...

post-47381-0-31498300-1450590192.jpg

If the Moon is dimmed through the use of a Moon filter or variable polariser, it will be easier on the eyes, and perhaps easier to make out more detail insofar as variations of surface colours, or shades rather.

This variable polariser allows one to adjust the brightness to suit, and similar to a dimmer switch for indoor lighting... http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/variable-polarizing-moon-filter.html

The polariser is comprised of two pieces that are rotated in respect to one another and in order to adjust the degree of brightness, like so...

post-47381-0-04183400-1450590931.jpg

For increasing the magnification of the 10mm and 25mm, and whilst retaining the comfortable eye-relief of both, a 2x barlow is required...

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/antares-x2-acho-barlow-lens-125.html

One would then have a total of four magnifications: 36x, 90x, then a doubling with the 2x barlow(72x and 180x).

Is there a link to the telescope purchased, or an image you could post?  I'm not seeing a 130mm/900mm Newtonian mounted upon a go-to alt-azimuth within Sky-Watcher UK's lineup; only the 130mm/650mm instruments.  There is a motorised 130mm/900mm, but it's mounted upon a non-goto equatorial... http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_telescopes-sky-watcher-newtonian_reflectors/explorer_130m.html

Cheers,

Alan

As has already been said, Stellarium is a great programme. You can move it forward (and backwards) in time to any date or hour, as well as getting it to advance rapidly so you can see how the night sky evolves during any period.

On the botton Stellarium toolbar, to the right, click several times on the double arrows to progressively increase speed, on the single arrow to go to "real" time, and on the down-pointing arrow to return to the present time.

Remember also to set Stellarium to a location near you, or enter specific lat/long coordinates.

Archived