Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

moriniboy

Bought anything recently and still been unable to use it?

I acquired some kit in the autumn and the weather has been terrible since - I was wondering if it was just me but evidently not!

I recently got a SW 200p.

Suffice to say I have been practicing my collimation skills over the last week...... :sad:

Looking forward to what it can do next year though - a big step up from my 4 and half inch newt.

On the basis that when the cloud does clear it is bound to be a full moon I bought a C90 Mak...

Alan

i haven't bought anything that recently...  and it's still been cloudy!!!  I think this is worst spell I've had since beginning now almost a month I think without a decent session. To add insult to injury last Tuesday was perfectly clear all night and I had our company xmas do...  Suffice to say I was rather too inebriated to operate a scope after getting back.  Once I'd sobered up it was cloudy again. :p

Got an Atik 460 from FLO several weeks ago, and while I was waiting for the order to arrive I picked up a second-hand Canon 1000D and had it modded. I did put the new Atik out one evening and just about managed to get it focussed on the Moon as it intermittently appeared between clouds, but nothing else so far. Perhaps I could sacrifice a turkey .......

I bought a 11mm and 7mm Delite  and a Moonlite (all used) for my 120ED and have used them for max 20 minutes since. very frustrating weather at the mo. not even lunchtime is offering any solar opportunities as it has in the past.

My new AVX mount had it over a week and only 1hr of sunshine and no dark clear skies since.

Probably not going to get any better if the 6" newt I'm hoping to use for video astronomy and an es 100 eyepiece arrive soon, there's no chance of clear weather in the next month..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Edited by cathalferris

I purchased a second hand Atik 314 one shot colour camera about a month ago and it currently remains a zero shot colour camera on account of the weather.....

I bought an Ioptron Skytracker for widefield mainly to use on holidays, but need to practice on it and so far it has been put on the Tripod indoors.

Carole 

My alarm is set at 4am. Hopefully this dense fog which has been covering the area since Friday, will be gone!

Visibility is 50mt.

At least I managed to use my new scope the first day I bought! :)

Went mad a few weeks ago and bought some non-working DSLRs to convert to mono for narrowband widefield astro imaging.  Had a go on a couple and succeeded on one but with not having any visible DSO to try it on the project is shelved :grin:  I have other astro projects but they're all on the back burner until there's at least a small prospect of imaging.  Something like a couple of years back I added to my Atik 460EX with 2 more for triple imaging rigs but have used them only two or three times and not at all recently :(

• Like 1

I bought a new mount and a new guide camera and still havent been able to use it from earlier this year. Lots of work and no play. 

Rob.

I've bought Jack and will continue to buy Jack. I do enjoy astronomy but there comes a time when you have to face the facts and accept we are at the mercy of not only mother nature but also human nature. I recently found out that not only do aircraft contrails contribute to cloud but also shipping. It never entered my mind that boats chugging across our oceans would leave their own contrails in their wake.

Add to that housing developments popping up all over the place and now talk of green belt land being considered for development to help deal with the housing shortage. All this means in my mind is there are going to be yet more st lights washing out the skies. Along with more housing usually comes the need for jobs and next thing you know there are industrial and commercial units appearing bringing with them poorly lighted car parks etc.

I always look forward to autumn and winter for the dark evenings yet I can count on one hand the amount of times I have been out since August and its not like the skies were any good those nights. Sorry to go off topic and have a little rant but I find Christmas a difficult time when I struggle to treat my kids to Xmas presents yet have £££'s worth of astronomy gear just sat idle 75% of the year. I know in the UK we have to take the good with the bad with any outdoor activity but between us now naming storms as if hurricanes and the floods I'm struggling to find the positives in all of it.

When you say recent how far back is regarded as recent?

I buy shoes and then usually get to  wear them about two or three years later, that is recent for me  :p

( Bought a Paramount ME, 5 years ago still in its box ! )

Derek

At least the 30mm XW has probably appreciated in value - they seem to be like "hens teeth" these days !

Well I am hoping Abromovich takes up astro and offers me Chelsea in exchange :) - on second thoughts I'll take cash only :)