SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bought anything recently and still been unable to use it?

moriniboy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've recently acquired a Baader 8-24 zoom, a Meade UWA 6.7mm and an Ethos 17mm but I've only been able to use them each once for a short session due to the weather :embarrassed:

The upside is that even the short session showed that they were good pieces of kit :smiley:

I've sworn off buying any new astro kit for the foreseeable future, it's just not worth it with our weather. If I bought anything it would either be shorter than 400 mm or longer than 1 metre. A Borg 89mm f/4.3 perhaps or a TS Imaging star 71.

Last thing I bought was a Pentax 30mm XW and the clouds that came in the blumming things box were enormous so bad that most of the clouds and the bad luck charm were still there a year later, then the weather got even worse - in the last two years (it might even be three) I have been out not once  - oh hang about I think I did but it clouded over or it was too cold or having got the kit unpacked I simply couldn't be bothered to use any of it (maybe not that last one - I may have made that up).

So for me it would be the Pentax XW30 and the ES 30mm 82' which also never got used - both still sat there glaring at me accusingly.

Surely  it is not beyond the wit and capabilities of someone on this forum to design and make a transparent waterproof dome to use when  

rain gods are active  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :grin:  :grin:

Have fun one and all

Robin

Last thing I bought was a Pentax 30mm XW and the clouds that came in the blumming things box were enormous so bad that most of the clouds and the bad luck charm were still there a year later, then the weather got even worse - in the last two years (it might even be three) I have been out not once  - oh hang about I think I did but it clouded over or it was too cold or having got the kit unpacked I simply couldn't be bothered to use any of it (maybe not that last one - I may have made that up).

So for me it would be the Pentax XW30 and the ES 30mm 82' which also never got used - both still sat there glaring at me accusingly.

At least the 30mm XW has probably appreciated in value - they seem to be like "hens teeth" these days !

Had a new mount delivered - An Avalon M-Tre ....... The weather is cloudy as anything!!!

attachicon.gifin box_SGL.jpg

Thank you, now I need to dry my key board asI have drooled all over it  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

that mount is not to be used it is to be mounted and admired and polished  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

here is hoping for some clear weather !!!

Robin 

I picked up my new 120 ED from Stu on Tuesday and have been itching to look through it for five nights. About an hour ago I spotted Jupiter through my kitchen window and decided that enough was enough! The views were mushy but I felt a warm calmness come over me as I reached focus.

A quick peek at M45 through the Ethos 21mm in the darkest part of the sky restored my faith in the hobby and I have now put everything away to wait for better skies.

Where is the Moon when you need her? :rolleyes:

Uh, am i missing some thing.....are we supposed to use this astro stuff we buy.............how are we going to do this with all this cloud cover  :grin:

A good while back i bought a used 130p ds, i dont think i have used it yet, same as the last 130p ds i bought :shocked:

About 10 months ago i bought a brand new 150 pro mak, if i said i have used it more than twice i would be fibbing  :mad:

Well I've sold a lot recently, but have also acquired a nice little kit to attempt video astronomy. I've got a Star Adventurer, Samsung SCB2000 and a variety of lenses I can use with it. So far I've only managed to look at birds or trees with it!

I have stopped buying gear and instead trying to use the equipment I have to the full, which is plenty for anyone. About the only thing i may be interested in is the upcoming additions to the TV De-lite range but only if the focal lengths are what I want.

A little like Stu I intend to try a bit of video or maybe it's photograghy, I have a Mummut camera I bought in England over 2 years ago and it has never been used other than to see it works. I may also try out the 40D which is modded, bought over 3 years ago and never used in a scope.

I haven't purchased any more astro gear since the 3.5mm XW, fortunately, I have had a couple of opportunities to use it.

This hasn't stopped me spending money though as I have found myself a secondary hobby where cold and wet weather kind of helps hone the skills :laugh:  

I have been practising bush-craft skills such as building waterproof shelters, lighting fires in wet conditions without the use of lighters or matches and being able to identify different wood types etc,,,,. It is quite rewarding and gives you a break from the mundane groundhog days of the working life  :laugh:

Archived