Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ok so I got my new I optron gr80 8802 gps scope today and I was looking forward to using it so I went through the quick start guide and followed what it said to do. Leveled the unit, added date/time and the coordinates as best as I could find them.( using star chart app on phone. Anyway the telescope seems like it's a quality piece of workmanship. Only thing is I can't get it to go to anything. It is always off and does not align with object I am trying to view.

If it is gps thenI would have assumed that the scope got location and time from the gps.

If so then why are you entering anything?

The blurb on this says: "Internal 32 Channel GPS for automatic time and location intake."

One problem is that gps can take a few minutes to get a location, so give it some time to get everything.

The other question is: Will a star chart app give your location? Can see that it might but I would be a little unsure of saying one will. The app will need to know where it is if it displays via the gps on the phone but my thought is that it does not need to pass that information on the you.

The mount is an iOptron Cube which is the name it goes by over here, but the cubes do not usually have gps so I assume that iOptron have added it to some now.

Where in KY are you?

That way someone can supply a Lat/Long and you can cross check.

Dates come in 2 formats so there is a chance you managed the wrong one, just check.

You should be used to the US format but there is the chance that iOptron use the UK format. In which case you may have told the mount that it is 12th August.

Also if possible more detail on the set up that you did.

If I recall the iOptrons Cubes start with the scope pointed South, usually it is North on most other makes.

Unfortunately it is a case of double check all the information you have and then double check that the information is in the mount correct.

Thanks guys,

Ok the quick start guide shows how to put the scope together then starts by telling you to put scope in park position which is straight up and Down. Then it says to point the scope south. Which I did using compass. Then it says to level the telescope which I also did. Then it says to go to set up controller. I selected that option and the date and time is in utc time. It looked like this:

This is the menu for entering in time and date and information is what I entered last night at 8:45pm est

Set local time

2015-12-09 01:45:48

300 min. Behind UT

Daylight time savings x

as for coordinates I used google, a coordinate app, and the sky chart app they all varied by a small margin but we're very close. And for some reason the gps seemed to pick up the coordinates bc what the scope said automatically was close to the other coordinates I seen but it didn't populate the time or date.

Thanks guys,

Ok the quick start guide shows how to put the scope together then starts by telling you to put scope in park position which is straight up and Down. Then it says to point the scope south. Which I did using compass. Then it says to level the telescope which I also did. Then it says to go to set up controller. I selected that option and the date and time is in utc time. It looked like this:

This is the menu for entering in time and date and information is what I entered last night at 8:45pm est

Set local time

2015-12-09 01:45:48

300 min. Behind UT

Daylight time savings x

as for coordinates I used google, a coordinate app, and the sky chart app they all varied by a small margin but we're very close. And for some reason the gps seemed to pick up the coordinates bc what the scope said automatically was close to the other coordinates I seen but it didn't populate the time or date.

Why are you doing any of this if it's a GPS enabled scope?

EDIT: You only have to enter time zone and dst manually.

EDIT again: Link to the manual for those playing along at home http://www.ioptron.us/Manual/8800_Cube-G_manual.pdf

Lol that's what I assumed also that I shouldn't need to do that seeing that this one was gps enabled but it seems the gps isn't working properly. I'm going to hook it up and update the software on computer and see if it helps if not idk what to do to fix it

Archived