SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Light polution from lamppost

I've been thinking of buying my first telescope for a while now and the ideal place to view would be on my patio at the rear of the house. However I have a public footpath running along the bottom of the garden with a lamppost about 15-20 yards away.  Recently the amber light has been replaced with a white one which is significantly brighter. Is this likely to spoil, hinder or end my observing ambitions?

I have a neighbour who installed one of those horrible security lights at his back door, but I managed to get round about this by shielding my observation spot by using a large patio parasol. I your case I agree with Dave. Contact your council and see if they will install down shades.

Councils have a duty of care when it comes to street lights causing nuisance, however, if help can be provided, without any reduction of public safety, there may be a solution with shielding, which may help in your case.

You will need to make direct contact with the Chief Lighting Engineer of your Authority, if you can find out who this is, it may save you being shunted round various departments, if you telephone trying to explain what you would like the councils help with. The Alternative is to address your problem in writing, direct to the Chief Lighting Engineer, at least you should get an acknowledgement to your inquiry and you can proceed from there, hopefully to a satisfactory outcome  :)

• 1 month later...

I contacted my council about the 4 street lights that over shadow my garden. These are the old sodium low pressure types. They did not fit shades but covered the sides facing my garden with black tape. This eliminated some of the glare but not all but at least the council did respond. If the new white lights were ever fitted then I would have to insist on a more rigorous solution.

I had a similar problem a while back, first they spray painted the back of the plastic sticky out bit, but then I said it wasn't working, so they offered and replaced the whole lamp head for me to ones that only shine down. I'm very happy:D

I had a similar issue. I complained that it was shining into my property and they fitted a shield to it. It makes a difference, although there is still some glare.

Unfortunately, the new LED type has rendered my Baader Neodymium light pollution filter somewhat obsolete.

Archived