Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC1333 - LRGB is so difficult!

swag72

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers Steve, Gav, Carole and John.

@Gav - I am already in the arms of NB don't you worry!!

@Carole - I am very self critical yes.... I can't help it, I want the best I can get and here I fell short.

@John - I looked at that APOD .... it caused me no end of angst :D

I calibrate and stack in Pixinsight and then process in Photoshop.

Interesting! I've always heard the pixinsight purists tend to do the whole process within the application itself. Tried PI once and got reasonable results, though should

Probably try again sometime. Price dies put me off though! Tried the trial but still want long enough for me to get really acquainted with it enough to make a decision...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am FAR from a Pixinsight purist Adam!! I use it minimally because if find it very unintuitive and difficult. I also find that often PI processed images have a 'look' about them that I can often spot a mile off and I personally don't like it. I like it for a couple of things and that's it. I guess I'm what people these days would call a dinosaur....... sticking with Photoshop :D

Sara,

You are being far too critical of your excellent efforts. I am willing to bet there are more than a few of us would be willing to pull teeth to get anywhere near your results. I am not suggesting you drop your standards, just be pleased with each effort, you can always try again if you decide to. Just saw you pic on Facebook.

Derek

Cheer Chris and Derek, 

I am self critical Derek and measure myself sadly by the best images that I see on the net - They are better than mine ergo I am not happy with mine as they do not reach those standards. Whether others would be happy with the image is dependant I guess on how they measure them.... if that makes sense. I can not be pleased with an effort when there is better out there :(

Cheer Chris and Derek, 

I am self critical Derek and measure myself sadly by the best images that I see on the net - They are better than mine ergo I am not happy with mine as they do not reach those standards. Whether others would be happy with the image is dependant I guess on how they measure them.... if that makes sense. I can not be pleased with an effort when there is better out there :(

I think that drive is what has got you where you are now - your images are what I hope to get in quality someday, and are the first I forward to people when they comment on my own. I don't say this lightly, I think your images are among the best in the world, like Rogelio Andreo's widefield shots and Damian Peach's planetary images

First off-all the positive comments times 10 couldn't say enough about the quality of the image.  Right is right.  For what my opinion is worth (and I am not deluded to believe it is very much), I see a two prong aspect to this whole business--data acquisition and data processing. Acquisition is by far simpler, especially if you are working with top notch gear, which I am sure you are.  Good processing is another story, which for you is perhaps not simple, but virtually guaranteed if you start with good data and apply your skills.  The safety net is that you can always start over once the data is captured (as long as you don't ruin it).  ts is probably safe to say that any aspect of this hobby, whether it be RGB, narrowband, Photometry, Spectroscopy, or any of the million different facets of astrophotography are at your disposal.  

I know this might start a quibble regarding capturing not being simple and some may feel it to be equal in difficulty with processing.  But this is belied by the fact that newbies like me can capture data that experts can turn into wonderful pictures, while the best data in the world captured by experts is beyond the ability of newbies like me to process.

In short--great picture.  Are you bumping up against the ceiling of the limits of your equipment?  

1:     You can have the best equipment in the world but if the conditions are not conducive  to acquiring the data you will fail. :mad:

2:     If you don't know how to use the equipment properly you will fail. :mad:

3:     When things go wrong during data acquisition be it mechanical or electrical you have to be able to determine the problem  and know what to do, i.e. when to stop find the error, fix it and restart. :p

That is the experience bit that can take a long time to acquire (years    :eek: ).

It is all part of the learning curve. :laugh:

Derek

They both may be difficult but I have found data acquisition to be much easier than processing--at least with a focal length under 600, a great mount, no clouds, and the proper supporting equipment (dew prevention, right angle polar scope etc, etc).  Of course, one must know how to use the equipment.  I guess my point is, I can acquire data of an object and Sara can make it into a great pic, but she can obtain data of the same object and I can't turn it into much of anything.  

Archived