Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC1333 - LRGB is so difficult!

swag72

NGC 1333 is the currently most active region of star formation in the Perseus molecular cloud. It was first discovered by Eduard Schonfeld in 1855 and is a bright reflection nebula in the western portion of the Perseus molecular cloud. The star BD +30◦549 illuminates NGC 1333 and was found to be a B8 spectral type. It is approximately 1000 light years away and is about 15 light years in diameter.

I rarely capture data on LRGB targets, so this has been a baptism of fire for me!! It;s very tricky for sure. I'm certain that I didn't have enough data, so maybe I'll get some more next year!! I welcome all comments for this area that is VERY new to me.

Details
M: Avalon Linear Fast Reverse
T: Orion Optics ODK10
C: QSI683 with Baader LRGB filters

Luminance 60x600s
Red, Green and Blue 30x600s for each filter

Totalling 25 hours of exposure.

post-5681-0-35335600-1449579902_thumb.pn

You can see a larger res version here

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cracking!!!

You are definitely not suffering from using the QSI 683 then after all the negative comments on the Kodak  as opposed to the Sony chip :p .

Just out of interest though Sara,  what filters are you using, make I mean?

Derek

Indeed, this one is a real devil but worth it if you can make it work - as is very clearly the case here. I, too, think the colours are bang on. What's so exciting about NGC1333 visually is that extraordinary yellow region - and it really is yellow. The Flame is a little orange-ochre-yellow but nothing like this. I can't think of another target of this colour.

Well done Sara. If you can do LRGB on this you can do it on anything.

Olly

Sneaks off quitely to dig out his NGC1333 for a major re-think....

Thanks very much folks for your kind comments. I have to admit that this has sat on my PC for a couple of days and I wasn't going to post it. I'm not really happy with it...... I need more data to smooth it out but I got impatient. 10hrs of luminance is not enough for this target at f6.8 so perhaps I'll revisit it next year.

Meanwhile this LRGB lark can take a back seat for a while, it's too damn difficult. I shall go back to my beloved narrowband!! The one that lets YOU pick the colours :D

Thanks very much folks for your kind comments. I have to admit that this has sat on my PC for a couple of days and I wasn't going to post it. I'm not really happy with it...... I need more data to smooth it out but I got impatient. 10hrs of luminance is not enough for this target at f6.8 so perhaps I'll revisit it next year.

Meanwhile this LRGB lark can take a back seat for a while, it's too damn difficult. I shall go back to my beloved narrowband!! The one that lets YOU pick the colours :D

Yes, but that makes it a game without rules! (And with no rules how can you cheat???  :evil:  :evil:  :evil: )

:grin: lly

Cracking!!!

You are definitely not suffering from using the QSI 683 then after all the negative comments on the Kodak  as opposed to the Sony chip :p .

Just out of interest though Sara,  what filters are you using, make I mean?

Derek

I was so taken with the image I missed the all important bit. Baader. Silly me!

Derek

Yes, but that makes it a game without rules! (And with no rules how can you cheat???  :evil:  :evil:  :evil: )

:grin: lly

Oh trust me ....... I can cheat! :D

Thanks Scot, Chris for looking and commenting - Sorry I didn't answer your question Derek, it was most rude of me ........ I use Baader RGB's and for the luminance filter I use a Hutech IDAS :)

This is a very good LRGB image Sara - star colour to the core; balanced overall and not over saturated, picking up the dust with its matt dun tone.  This image should encourage you to do more!

It's great too to see the core details at this scale - what must it be like to be in there?

Oh trust me ....... I can cheat! :D

Thanks Scot, Chris for looking and commenting - Sorry I didn't answer your question Derek, it was most rude of me ........ I use Baader RGB's and for the luminance filter I use a Hutech IDAS :)

It was my fault completely. I should have looked at the writing, but the image is fantastic, it just gripped my senses. I went brain blind!

I just wish we got some more good weather over here to give it a go. You pics never cease to amaze me. Keep it up.

I have just bought a set of Astrodons with narrow band filters as well. May be I will get a bit clear weather......

Derek

Superb Sara, that is a beauty. Well done, definitely worth the headache of processing. I'm pretty sure that it gets easier too as you become more familiar with the routine of processing. Don't just run back to the safety of false colour, let this success inspire you to search out other similarly beautiful and interesting LRGB targets to show the world! In the UK at the moment, we have to be satisfied with images from abroad to help us believe that the heavens haven't actually collapsed...

Well I have had to look this one up before I could comment as I think I have only see it once before in a much larger FOV.  Of all the images I have seen of it so far, this has to be the best for colour and detail.  

LRGB might be more difficult than your beloved narrowband, but you still do it well.  I think you are far too self critical, which isn't a bad thing of course, but what is not good enough for you many would die for.

Carole 

Archived