Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Charon

Paragon Binocular mount

I have one of these setups and use it all the time with my bins.  My 20x80's are bit too heavy for this rig, but I simply added some additional weight to the counter balance and it has worked great over the last five years.  When I have it properly balanced, I can observe totally hands free, I simply lock in the altitude I want and nudge it along the azimuth with my eye sockets.  It's fantastic for sweeping the Milky Way, and you can comfortably view closer to the zenith than you can with a camera tripod.

The down side:  When you mount your bins on a mount like this, it stops being the quick grab and go instrument it was when you were simply hand holding or monopoding it, but it more than makes up for that in stability - the more stable your bins are, the more you will see with them.

I've got one with Apollo 15x70. It's great and no regrets, I'd buy another... but I do now wonder what the models with another degree of articulation are like. Name / models escape me. n+1

I have the Paragon in its previous incarnation (Virgo Astronomics) - same beast, though. Good for medium-weight binoculars. Mine doesn't quite balance the Helios Apollo 15x70, so I have to do the clamps up a bit, but it stil operates smoothly enough.

Chops, I think the one you are thinking of is the Universal Asstronomics. I have one of their T-mounts - truly marvellous bit of kit!

Hi all, i have a pair of Helios 25x100 and would like the Orion Monster P mount but i can only find it one shop in the UK, it comes with the tripod that i dont need and they want £500!!! 

I have seen that i can get the Paragon Plus mount without tripod for only £140!!! However, it is only capable of up to 80mm binos, do you think it could be adjusted in some way, maybe add some counter weight to accomodate the larger bins?

All replies appreciated.

To my mind, these mounts are used the wrong way up. If you configured it such that the counterweight was at the high point and the binocular at the low point you could sit on a chair in front of the tripod. The advantages of this would be that the tripod wouldn't be in the way and you could comfortably look at the zenith.

Looking at the Paragon Plus you are right Peter, the bins sit at the high point on an L bracket were as the Monster mount has a fully articulated mount at the low point for the bins, maybe a fabricated end mount might be needed. 

I also notice that the mounting post on the Paragon is set at an angle that does not allow the bins to reach the low point so maybe by undoing the bolts, removing and turning the beams the opposite way round would create an angle suitable for viewing whilst seated. Mmmm?