Hinged roof shed advice

matt-c

Hi everyone i'm fairly sure this has already been asked because i remember reading it, however it seems to have vanished  :confused:

my questions is

has anyone had success (or knows a thread) with a hinged shed roof obsy? i've seen the types with that seperate in the middle but i'd be worried about water.

I was thinking more like a roof that totally opens in once piece on a hinge (possibly braced by supports?)

2 sheds i have in mind are a 6x4 or a 6x8 wooden type.

I apologise if this has been answered, for some reason when searching on mobile version alot of the threads linked are dead  :huh:

i'm terrible at explaining things so if its not clear try and think of it like opening a tin of beans (ring pull ofc :tongue: )

Thanks  

I did a 7' long by 4' wide hinged roof, hung down the front of the Obby, there difficult to lift and then lower as to lift you need to be inside and to lower you need to be outside, on your sizes the 6 X 4 will be to small, the 6 X 8 give more room but a roof that size even done with light weight Polycarbonate would be tough to manage, the slightest breeze and it will be gone, if you have room a roll off or a single curved roof hinged on a pin either end so it pivots off ....

Hi everyone i'm fairly sure this has already been asked because i remember reading it, however it seems to have vanished  :confused:

my questions is

has anyone had success (or knows a thread) with a hinged shed roof obsy? i've seen the types with that seperate in the middle but i'd be worried about water.

I was thinking more like a roof that totally opens in once piece on a hinge (possibly braced by supports?)

2 sheds i have in mind are a 6x4 or a 6x8 wooden type.

I apologise if this has been answered, for some reason when searching on mobile version alot of the threads linked are dead  :huh:

i'm terrible at explaining things so if its not clear try and think of it like opening a tin of beans (ring pull ofc :tongue: )

Thanks  

The problem you'll have is that the mass of the roof will shift as you rotate it about the pivot point.  The force to move the mass through 180 degrees will be more when the roof is at zero and 180 degrees compared to around 90 degrees, so would require some form of counterbalancing to be able to control the mass, which on a 6 x 8 will be quite considerble.

completed.jpg

There are some designs on small sheds that have the roof split

obs05.jpg

Personally, I would stick to the tried and tested method of a rool off roof as it's less complicated to engineer

A couple of years ago when I was looking into observatory designs, I investigated hinged roofs and other unusual designs but decided they were all too difficult or too complicated and went for a roll off roof with part of the walls (like Olly's).

I came across your write up of the keter shed its really good info on it :headbang:

I think i may opt for this in the end as its seems to be exactly what i'm looking for and i can take the roof off (with my limited space its a real good thing)

But my only concern is security  :police:  how does something like this compare with a wooden/metal shed? 

I assume i can improve it by adding locks and stuff but i still cant shake from my head that its light and someone could just pick it up haha

Pretty secure, bit like house security the harder you make it to break in the more damage they do breaking in , mines got the pier mounted through the floor so can't blow away :)

Before I made mine into roll off I just used to lift the roof on and off, some folks still doing this I believe.

The good thing I found was that you could stick the whole thing up single handed in a couple of hours and then convert it at your leisure .

Bit restricted for space, not the place for an EQ mounted 300p  :grin:

Dave

Pretty secure, bit like house security the harder you make it to break in the more damage they do breaking in , mines got the pier mounted through the floor so can't blow away :)

Before I made mine into roll off I just used to lift the roof on and off, some folks still doing this I believe.

The good thing I found was that you could stick the whole thing up single handed in a couple of hours and then convert it at your leisure .

Bit restricted for space, not the place for an EQ mounted 300p  :grin:

Dave

Thats exactly what i was looking for  :grin:

My pier is already made (sometime last year) so its just a case of putting a shed on it. 

My setup is abit more modest more like a 200mm lens than a 300p  :tongue: so i should be alright, possibly even with a 6x4. 

I've gotta keep the misses happy somehow  :evil:

Hi Matt, the plastic sheds are every bit as secure as wood IMHO. The would be burglar would probably get in both by the same method. I have some steel draws in mine that have all my nice bits in and can be locked if needed. I think if a local burglar broke into the pig he would be totally at a loss and leave with the pc . A few years ago I was broken into at home and the thief walked right past a canon 40d with pro 100-400 zoom fitted (close to 2 grand) and took the x box . In the main they look for stuff they can sell in the pub , astronomy gear blows them away they much prefer lawnmowers :-) .

Good luck with the build.

Hi Matt, the plastic sheds are every bit as secure as wood IMHO. The would be burglar would probably get in both by the same method. I have some steel draws in mine that have all my nice bits in and can be locked if needed. I think if a local burglar broke into the pig he would be totally at a loss and leave with the pc . A few years ago I was broken into at home and the thief walked right past a canon 40d with pro 100-400 zoom fitted (close to 2 grand) and took the x box . In the main they look for stuff they can sell in the pub , astronomy gear blows them away they much prefer lawnmowers :-) .

Good luck with the build.

Thats a really good point, thanks for that Fish  :grin: I had no idea you made the pig!!!

That and Dave's have really spurred me on to get this started, Your design is amazing i'm definitely going to upgrade to that type of roll off roof i just need some sort of skill and planning.  :grin:

Good point - maybe making the observatory look like a garden shed is not such a good idea after all.

2016 the year observatory's became ice cream vans  :grin:  :grin:  :grin: Maybe we can have a thread titled spot the obsy, points for full camo.

An alternative that was built by one of the SGL members (please excuse the backing track.. it was my attempt at a bit of humour   :) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9hwCfK-fL8

Thanks malc-c that is a really awesome design sadly i think every aspect is above my technical skill  :grin:

That music is extremely well suited and although the show is a little before my time i still found my self doing the countdown  :tongue:

Archived