SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Beginners advice needed asap please

That sort of budget is going to make it quite difficult to get something so you can do astro imaging. What I would suggest is a Dobsonian like a Skyliner 150 and use it for visual observations. You could probably take images of the Moon through the eyepiece with a compact camera or even a smartphone. If you find that you want to progress further you will need to consider the costs involved in astrophotography because it can be a money pit. Good luck.

Peter

Any telescope chosen is a compromise, be it size, price, capability, aperature.

It is picking the one that best fits at the current time.

Have you looked at the virtuoso telescopes?

If you are sharing with your dad then a tracking mount could be useful.

Do you already own a camera you hope to use.

A webcam is very effective on imaging the Moon.

Are you in a city or in the country, how much light pollution.

The virtuoso is a great suggestion at this point - I'd second that whole heartedly - it's small and economic, but a great starter for a bit of elementary imaging and observing. I'd also recommend joining a local astro club and get out with them for a few observing sessions to find out everything that astronomy entails, and what sort of gear is available. Can't beat a bit of practical experience. :)

I think 200 is enough for a start. I'm using rig that cost me 150 altogether - Celestron 114 eq and webcam. Sometimes I use iPhone. Photos are nowhere as good as you see on this forum, but I'm useless at processing and still I get Jupiter lines, Saturns' ring(s). I can view some nebulea. And I live in London, so you can imagine light pollution! If I bought again, I would buy Celestron 130 (or skywatcher, no difference). They are under 200 pounds and are quite a bit more powerful than mine. I would consider motors too, it's sharming to operate a telescope by hand, but it is a pain to find objects you can't see with naked eye.

Just get what you can, and if you get hooked you'll have a lifetime to save for equipment improvements.

Archived