Buying stargazing binoculars for my partner and I have no idea what to go for! #help!

jchloer17

Hello!

So I am looking to buy a pair of stargazing binoculars for my partner for Christmas - he has always been into astronomy and has a few books on it and has had a few apps to help locate stars etc in the past. I know that a telescope / spotting scope would be a better option  for clearer, more up-close images of the night sky, however his sister has a telescope at home which he can use when he is there, however he travels around the UK with work and sometimes is in great areas with clear skies, so binoculars he could take with him would be ideal.

I've done some research but just wondering if people could give me first hand advice / help on the products i'm looking at or advise any other binoculars? I'm thinking under £70 would be ideal, and the options i'm looking at are:

(1) Celestron 71008 25x70 Skymaster Porro Prism Binocularshttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-71008-25x70-Skymaster-Binoculars/dp/B003AM87Q4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

(2) Celestron 71009 15 x 70 Skymaster Porro Prism Binoculars http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-71009-SkyMaster-Binoculars-15x70/dp/B00008Y0VN/ref=lh_ni_t

(3) Olympus Binocular 10x50 DPS-1 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-118760-Binocular-10x50-DPS-1/dp/B0000AKGX3/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1449490668&sr=1-1&keywords=stargazing+binoculars

Obviously I know the 'aperture' and 'magnification' numbers are varied, but i'm just wondering which would be best to go for specifically for stargazing? Am I right in assuming the higher the aperture / magnification, the better / clearer the image?

Also in regards to tripods, he currently owns a tripod for a NIKON camera (not specific Nikon tripod) but could he use this tripod for his binoculars?

Any information would be VERY much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi jchloer17 and welcome to SGL, choosing binoculars can be just as big a headache as a choice of telescope, especially as they are for your partner. Price is governing the quality of what you can obtain, but generally speaking porro prism binoculars with specified BAK-4 prisms, in the widely used 10x50 class, should serve him well as a travelling companion, however, expense increases relative to the general makeup, quality of glass and multiple coatings to the optics, which allows for better light transmission.

If you take a look at Strathspey Marine`s informative binocular web site, they produce excellent BAk-4 binoculars including a basic 10x50 model with class1 coatings, but to upgrade to class 4 coatings with the Marine model, would take you beyond your budget, but this model has received accolades, reported in the some of the past Astronomy magazines. Care should also be exercised when considering high power small aperture models, such as the 25x70 rather large magnification with a small field of view, not really suited for Astronomical use.

Generally speaking, the 10x50 models are regarded as the norm for hand held use, once you go beyond this, then a tripod, or some support is vital, if you want to stop the stars dancing about like Sunlight off water. Some basic camera tripods are not up to the job and you would be better of with a dedicated mono pod ( DIY broom shaft at a pinch ) or, of course, a decent tripod with a multi head, capable of holding heavy weight models steady. 

I am sure there will be other recommendations and advice, but there are dedicated forum sections for binocular use, both for discussion and observing, which may help you reach a decision. Enjoy the forum :)

Am I right in assuming the higher the aperture / magnification, the better / clearer the image?

I would say that yes, all things being equal, bigger aperture is better. But I would put optical quality in a strong second place (or even first place).

For astronomy most people have a pair of medium magnification binoculars, x8 or x10 or even x7. These provide an excellent wide view of the sky ideal for getting the overall picture. They can also be used for almost any other purpose - nature, birding, sports etc. and are easily portable.

High power binoculars for astronomy for me are something of a niche that some people enjoy. x15 can usually be hand-held for short periods of time, but a tripod is generally recommended. Unless it comes with the binoculars, you will need an adapter to attach it to a reasonably solid photographic tripod (5-10 pounds). The cheaper Celestron astronomy binoculars are good value, but can easily be knocked out of collimation. Remember, even hi-power binos will not replace a telescope.

An indication of quality is the glass used for the prism. Bak4 is better than Bak7, and begins to appear in binos at around the 50 pound mark. Avoid any binoculars which have bright red coatings on the lenses. Likewise I would suggest avoiding zoom binoculars.

At least for me, binoculars are a bit like shoes. Try before you buy! Trading the surprise factor against the disappointment factor, I'd take your partner to a binocular shop.

Wow - I am overwhelmed with the amount of replies and greetings to the SGL! What a lovely community to have joined! And thanks so much for the advice and opinions on products!

Think I will be going with the Olympus Binocular 10x50 DPS-1 as it seems like the best beginners / easy to use / travel easy product!

Welcome to the the forum.

Binoculars, I LOVE binoculars!   I started my stargazing with 10X50 binoculars and these are the ones I use the most even though I have 15X70s and 3 telescopes.   They are light, they are easy to hand hold and they show me so much more than I can see with my eyes alone.  And they are fairly compact compared to the 15X70s which are huge by comparison.

10X50s are easily hand held while 15X70s tend to be hard to hold steady.  The higher mag and the greater weight make it tough to keep the image steady.  15X70s do better on a mount.   Anything larger than 15X70 pretty much requires a mount due to weight and image jiggle.

If he does not have binoculars today I would go for the 10X50s.   I am sure the Olympus you selected would be great.

Introduction to Binoculars for Star Gazing
Seeing targets in Taurus

Thank you for your reply (and thank you to everyone else too!!!) - this response outlined everything I needed to know and was super helpful, very much appreciated!!! :)

Sorry to come back again but I have yet another question if anybody could help!

I've now narrowed it down to the Olympus 10x50 OR the Olympus 8x40.

The reason for this is on the Olympus 10x50 reviews seem to be a bit varied between nature / bird watching / astronomy whereas with the Olympus 8x40 there are ONLY reviews for astronomy.

With the 10x50 it has a wider aperture / magnification, so again this would be the right choice... right?

Sorry if that sounds really dumb - but advice would be much appreciated!

If any of you can tell i'm a VERY indecisive person, so help would be fab!

Thanks again in advance!!

They both have a 5mm exit pupil, so what you see in either binocular will appear to have the same brigtness/contrast.

Exit pupil is the size of that small spot of light that appears to float infront of the eyelens if you hold the binoculars at arms length?

The larger the aperture, the more light that is gathered, but in this situation with the difference in magnifications, they both have light leaving the optics that is near to 5mm?

The 10x binocular should get you a little closer to your target, the 8x should have a wider view, but not always, depending on eyepiece construction.

If the exit pupil exceeds the diameter of your own eyes, it will be as bright as can be, but wasting that, which does not enter your eye, therefore your not making the most of the light gathering that the optic provides! Likewise, using less exit pupil, smaller than your own eye darkens the image, not enough light?

I would opt for the 8x40s, but best for you is to just try any branded 8x40 aside a 10x50 then make a decision.

If like me and many other folk, this will not be your only pair of binoculars, so either or will be a good choice!

aeajr said......

As a choice for first binoculars for astronomy I would highly recommend toward the 10X50s over the 8X40s because the 10X50 will show you more and it will show it in more detail because it gathers more light.........

Were conflicting here? The 10x will normally show less due to the higher mag/field of view, but maybe show more in the detailing.

And yes, 50s gather more light than 40s, but here we have the same exit pupil, so the image brightness will be the same, no advantage?

Archived