Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What do you all do?

Jared185

Hi all,

Ok I'm hooked on astronomy I've been out every night this past week for at least two or 3 hours a night, just with binos. Which I have had a blast with but I can't wait for my telescope to come in. So I get my telescope Tuesday and guess what. Clouds and rain almost every day this coming week. So now I'm dying inside after the stellar week I had last week. Ive learned so much, and have been reading as much as I can and trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks to a lot of you for your help and advice also. But now idk what to do with myself, to make it worse I'm off this week. So what do all you guys and gals do when the weather is bad.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I do on those numerous cloud-ridden days/nights is remember that this is just a hobby/pastime ...  :smiley:

The most important piece of kit in your astro-arsenal is a big bag of patience , nothing you can do about the weather but accept it and turn your hand to another pastime that does not rely on going outside ...  :rolleyes:

Come on here and complain about weather.

And as above: Read, research, plan, create spreadsheets, do an online course, find something else to do.

If you are getting a Newtonian, you can practice collimation. If you are getting an eq mount you can practice polar aligning.

Imaging and sketching: Take some pretty pictures of your new scope, draw your new scope.

Use your finder scope like an old fashioned hand held telescope and pretend you are a pirate.

I saw it coming as I was reading your post and I've said this multiple number of times... as soon as you get a telescope and have days off.. CLOUDS like clock work every time....

All you can do is either chase the weather (if possible) or wait.... What I do is process my previous captured subs and double my gym workouts.. do 2 days in one, morning and evening sessions... perhaps do the things around house that need to be done...

chin up, you will have great seeing, but it will never be enough... 

Yes, the recent weather is very frustrating. I bought an Evo 8 a few weeks ago and I've only used it about 5 times. So when the weather is bad I use Stellarium or SkySafari on my iPad to learn the constellations and where the major Messier objects are. I also plan what I'll do when a good night comes along. I've been watching quite a few videos on YouTube, all sorts of interesting astronomy subjects are covered.

I also have other interests so I don't rely just on astronomy to occupy my spare time. But even if I did, there's so much to learn that I'm sure I could occupy most of my time that way.

Eric.

Yes, the recent weather is very frustrating. I bought an Evo 8 a few weeks ago and I've only used it about 5 times. So when the weather is bad I use Stellarium or SkySafari on my iPad to learn the constellations and where the major Messier objects are. I also plan what I'll do when a good night comes along. I've been watching quite a few videos on YouTube, all sorts of interesting astronomy subjects are covered.

I also have other interests so I don't rely just on astronomy to occupy my spare time. But even if I did, there's so much to learn that I'm sure I could occupy most of my time that way.

Eric.

5 times in a few weeks, that's pretty good going with the weather we've been having, I'm jealous!! [emoji106][emoji106]

Allotment gardening.

And,since April of this year,Microscopy.

I'd thoroughly recommend both hobbies,but the use of a microscope has really got me HOOKed!(sorry about the awful pun ).

It shares a lot with Astronomy,as the optical theory has very much in common.

Also,I've found that it''s fed a wider interest in natural history study as a whole,as does the gardening(I try to garden as organically as possible),so there's links there.

Also,the garden provides plenty of material to look at-pollen grains,pond water from water butts,moss,fungi etc.

It's also convenient.

I can look at stuff in the comfort of my home,at any time,at a moments notice.

No going out in the middle of the night,in the cold,etc.

And it needn't be an expensive hobby-my very,very basic microscope only cost £18 from Astro buy and sell,but has opened up whole new vistas to explore.

When not at work or looking after the kids, or the oven dozen things that are going on right now, I try and increase my chances of observing by doing a bit of solar with an H-alpha telescope during the day, or a solar white light wedge and refractor to look at sun spots (especially good with a binoviewer). The Sun in very dynamic so there is always some thing interesting to see. 

I've also been quite impressed with Microscopy since buying a semi decent stereo microscope about a year ago. Tiny things do look very interesting at 20/40x in stereo vision. Taking images through the microscope is something i've been meaning to do more of.

The above two hobbies have kind of come about due to lack of clear nights, or time during late evenings due to insomniac children :D

Will always love astro though despite the weather :)

What Stereo microscope did you purchase Chris?

As a 'newbie',I'm quite interested in upgrading at some point.

But,as with telescopes-the options are bewildering.

New (more than likely made in China,probably with plastic gears,etc) or old,pre-owned(better build quality,but worn)?

I'd like a stereo microscope,at some point,but my first option would be a compound microscope with fine focus,a mechanical stage,and L.E.D. lighting.

Two E.P's would be nice,to lessen eye strain.

X1000 oil immersion would be optional,but not essential.

Since I don't live in the Atacama region of Chile, it makes sense to have interests other than observing.  When I got back into this hobby a few years ago I spent a lot of time catching up on technology, wading through the quagmire of advertising hype, and doing research on equipment which has stood the test of time; that's how I spent many cloudy nights here in the UK. 

Now that I have more equipment than I realistically need, :tongue: I usually spend the rainy & cloudy nights reading "old" astronomy books, making some noise with the resonator guitar, or travelling the world on google earth to find interesting holiday destinations.

Lately I've been spending a lot of time on line looking for some machines to put together a home workshop once again. For me, tinkering or working on a useful project is what I really like to be doing on the evenings when the weather is not ideal for observing, and my wife can usually find something for me to do.    :smiley:

Haha thanks for all suggestions,

You know originally I hadn't planned on this as a main hobby for me, Just something I'd been interested in. But after I got started it turned into more than just something to occupy time. Literally I had planned to have a room for a telescope and now I changed house plans to include an observatory. The way things are clouding up here I need to be a amateur weather man lol.

Archived