SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Picked up a SW Mak 180 today!!

I was checking on astrobuysell website last night and I seen a Mak 180 for sale close to me so I decided that it will be my xmas present and went to pick it up tonight! I didnt expect it to be so big! I already have a mak 127 and loved it so its exciting to see what the 180 will be like. Does anyone have any pictures of the planets that theyve imaged? Im excited to see what the views are like but I probably wont have a chance to take it outside any time soon because of this weather! thanks in advance!

post-30010-0-97682800-1449443092_thumb.j

I'd be very interested to hear your impressions of this scope if it ever stops raining! I've toyed with the idea of getting one myself :)

Hi Tim! I've been thinking about it for a while too and only went for it when I seen an ad for a 2nd hand one close by.

I'll be sure to say what I think of it once I've got a proper chance to use it! 

That's a great choice, including for solar observing and imaging (with Baader film). I've had some great views with a binoviewer at 180x.

Sure thing:

get.jpgget.jpgget.jpgget.jpgget.jpgget.jpgget.jpgget.jpgget.jpg

WOW those animations are breathtaking! I was thinking about getting a pair of William optics and a William optics dielectric diagonal what do you think?

Can't see a reason not to :) Though I just used a regular 2" GSO diagonal, worked just fine (had to be collimated though by placing some shims under mirror's corner). For imaging consider adding an external focuser - mirror shift isn't big, but it's there. I had a Baader Steeltrack (SCT version with adapter).

I have a Baader Maxbright binoviewer and a pair of cheap 25 mm Plössls, also a 1.7x Glass Path Correct (i.e. a dedicated Barlow). I don't use the bino often, so I haven't got around to buying another pair of eyepieces yet (I'm thinking of 15-18 mm orthos or premium Plössls).

External focuser example: http://agenaastro.com/gso-sct-dual-speed-crayford-focuser-schmidt-cassegrain-telescope.html

(for this one you'd also need an SCT-Mak back thread adapter). The way it works is you first set coarse focus with the Mak's (or SCT's) focusing knob, then fine-focus using the external focuser. It's not that important for visual, but when imaging with a small sensor (e.g. 1/3" in my PGR Chameleon), the slight mirror shift caused by the main focusing knob's action can move the picture almost out of the camera's field of view.

Archived