Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My Observatory Plan and Scale Model

Tim99

Hello friends. I am planning to break ground next spring for my Observatory. This building will be located six miles from home on land that we own. I need a "Warm Room" as Western New York winters get pretty cold!

I have looked at a lot of buildings that others have built and after thinking a lot about it, I came up with my design. I draw up my buildings using graph paper and this time I build a scale model so I can refine my ideas over the long winter and be ready to go in the Spring!

I decided that I wanted short walls in the telescope room. I like the idea of being able to stand on a deck and view the entire sky all the way to the horizon ( and I am a bit claustrophobic ) so, I decided to build a Gambrel Roof to "roll-off" on these short walls.  

The Telescope Room will be elevated to allow the Gambrel roof to roll over the top pf the Warm Room with its shed style roof.

Tell me what you think. Suggestions. I have all winter to make changes.

Thanks,
Tim                        

Thanks everyone for your kind words.  I still have several issues to work out .... like how AM I going to seal between the two buildings?  

I have a tree line to my NW.  I planned to have the roof roll in that direction.  The telescope deck should have good views to the N - NE - E - SE -S - SW - W.  

That's the plan right now.  I am going back up to the site to check out the orientation after dark so I can see for sure which way to orient the Obsy.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.  Some friends have pointed out some things related to "Astronomy" like building orientation and control wiring tips.  Hey!  Who has more fun than us? 

Archived