Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

DemosL

I just came in from viewing Sirius and a few open clusters

I was out earlier looking at the Pleiades and Orion (see separate post). I came in and waarmed up for about an hour. I went back out to view Sirius and the surrounding area. Sirius was fantastic. I wish I could see Sirius B (which I used to look at in my scopes). M41 was easy to see a few degrees almost directly below it. I found M35 very easily near one of the feet of the twins of Gemini. I saw a few other fainter open clusters while scanning the sky. I'm back inside, where I'll stay and will soon hit the sack.

• Like 3

I guess it's moments like these that make it worthwhile.

On this side of the pond we've been cloud-watching, hoping for a short break.

Clear skies

I just came in from enjoying cold and dry weather with a clear sky after a few cloudy days and rain yesterday. I immediately turned my attention to Orion and surrounding areas. In Auriga, I could see M38 (looks almost like a nebula) in the same FOV M36, which is brighter and definitely looks like an open cluster. A little more than a FOV to the SE of M36 is M37, which is a brighter, more resolveable open cluster. The 3 open clusters of Auriga are in almost a straight line. Not far to the SE of M37 is the brighter and more resolveable M35.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By onefistinthestars
      To celebrate the 25th anniversary of Sir Patrick's DSO catalogue, I've added the available Caldwells to my basic Marathon search sequence. 
      Those interested may be pleasantly surprised by how many of the additional treasures are only a short hop from a given (or en route to the next) Messier.
      The sequence for 40°N can be found at the SEDS Messier Marathon homepage or at my blog.
      Peace, Stephen
    • By Lancebloke
      So, although I had some issues with my auto guiding (which I found out afterwards) I did manage to get 9x180s exposures and 5 darks of Andromeda and give both stacking (using DSS) and processing (using GIMP).
      My first attempted DSO....

I am pretty sure that people could get far more information out of the TIFF file from the stack.
      Hopefully I will get another clear night soon. I am in a heavily light polluted area so I do have a clip in filter on my DSLR which I think took a lot away.
      More practise needed!
      Lance
    • By Bajastro
      Recently I observed profiles of hydrogen Balmer lines in Sirius spectrum with spectral type A. I used LowSpec spectrograph with 1800 l/mm diffraction grating and APO APM 107/700 on HEQ5 mount.
      H-alpha:

H-beta:

H-gamma:

H-delta & H-epsilon:

I had some problems with stacking, so I used the best single frames in analysis.
    • By rorymultistorey
      So I picked up a classic... a 1970's - 80's edmund optics f6 150mm newtonian...

... like this one but mine has a different mount. It was cheap. Very good condition. The focuser is pants. The mechanics of the secondary holder is (IMHO) brilliant and apparently the primary is 1/10th wave.
      But its f6 and I trhink I'd rather swap it out for a faster synta f5 mirror. .  The thing is its a one shot job bc to make the f5 mirror work I will have to saw off a good few cm from the barrel of the scope.
      So the question is: Is a high quality f6 mirror better than a faster synta f5 mirror for wide deep space astrophotograhy?

All comments gratefully received. 😉 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.