Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

digital_davem

According to FLO's Clear Outside site, 99% cloud coverage will become 5% in the next 5 minutes..

they get their data from forecast.io, which is supposed to have a very good rep and powers a lot of sites and mobile apps.

But I agree, sometimes it can be way off - I managed to get out about 2 weeks ago, but it's a good job I looked outside because clearoutside said full cloud cover all night - I managed about 2.5 hrs of nearly clear skies

they get their data from forecast.io, which is supposed to have a very good rep and powers a lot of sites and mobile apps.

But I agree, sometimes it can be way off - I managed to get out about 2 weeks ago, but it's a good job I looked outside because clearoutside said full cloud cover all night - I managed about 2.5 hrs of nearly clear skies

What is so ludicrous for me is the precision of the forecasts. I could live with "It's probably going to be mostly cloudy maybe with an occasional short lived clear spell" but having detailed forecasts to 10 decimal places that are so inaccurate you might as well make it up randomly is almost insulting! Don't they know that in science rounding is very important to giving a sense of how confident you are in the result? Never quote results to a finer level of precision than the uncertainty...

• Like 2

For tonight, CO tells me it's going to be Pukka but Accuweather tells me to drown my hope puppies and don't bother. Don't know what to believe in

For tonight, CO tells me it's going to be Pukka but Accuweather tells me to drown my hope puppies and don't bother. Don't know what to believe in

Same here - one says cloudy, the other clear skies!

which would you prefer; to have your viewing hopes crushed by clouds after having set up. Or lying in bed with regret after a lovely clear night that you spent watching Strictly?

I've had completely inaccurate results via Clear Outside, likewise from the one site that has (until very recently) has been spot on - yr.no  - maybe the weather is that unpredictable at the moment?

It is dead right here this morning.

100% Cloud & Rain......

Looking good for tonight though........

Paul

Ok well this won't be my final judgement but CO was close to my nightly skies for last night. It did say cloud cover to be 0 which was wrong but at least the forecast was close. Again I'll be putting it to test for another few nights. Up until now I've been quite pleased with Accuweather astronomy addon

Ok well this won't be my final judgement but CO was close to my nightly skies for last night. It did say cloud cover to be 0 which was wrong but at least the forecast was close. Again I'll be putting it to test for another few nights. Up until now I've been quite pleased with Accuweather astronomy addon

CO is predicting completely clear skies from 2pm onwards and all night. Accuweather is predicting similar but with some cloud. Agreement for once!

• Like 1

CO is predicting completely clear skies from 2pm onwards and all night. Accuweather is predicting similar but with some cloud. Agreement for once!

And, it would seem, correct for once - well done forecasters!

A famous song from '79 starts, " Its Cold Outside! " ......well it is tonight, and to prove it, there is a solid covering of ice all over the vehicles in my street, and my  skies above are perfectly clear, its just too cold to venture out :sad:

Yet at 2100, Total Clouds (% Sky Obscured) 100. I didn't see any!

Edited by Charic