SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Building a metal binocular parallel mount from scratch.

The storm fisherman

Hi All

After a relative short observation session a couple a weeks ago with my new 15 x 70 binoculars I came across slight problem the new tripod mount is about 6 inches too short giving me a pain the neck as well as the knees due to arthritis while viewing the Moon.

So I trawled through the forums to find an answer to my problem and it seems the parallel mount might just do the job. To add insult to the pain the ready built ones are quite expensive and my wood-working skills are not great. so with some help from a helpful work colleague in the engineering dept. we have come up with a potential design for one which can portable and be put together and taken back down at the end of a session, All of the materials readably available and easy to work with.

I will post up requisite photos, drawings and materials list etc. But as I am not natural engineer I thought this will be an ideal project for any home diy-er to have a go

I will be most grateful for any helpful tips and observations as the project goes along.

So let the build commence  :eek:

I have a home-made wooden parallelogram mount. It is necessary to have all the parallel elements exactly the same length, so drill the pivot holes in each piece simultaneously with it's opposite part - stack them in the drill press.

It's also worth noting that even with a parallelogram mount, there is still a lot of turning your head upwards - unless you have a reclining chair with you, but that makes rotating to other places in the sky inconvenient.

I have a home-made wooden parallelogram mount. It is necessary to have all the parallel elements exactly the same length, so drill the pivot holes in each piece simultaneously with it's opposite part - stack them in the drill press.

It's also worth noting that even with a parallelogram mount, there is still a lot of turning your head upwards - unless you have a reclining chair with you, but that makes rotating to other places in the sky inconvenient.

Hi Pete 

That's a fair point but with a little help from my colleague I hope to get all necessary metal correctly cut and drilled right . I have also just purchased a reclining zero gravity chair  but have yet to try out if only will this cloud  clear. 

I had to build one for my big bino, as the suitable commercially available examples were well out of my price range at the time. I built mine from aluminium and was delighted with the end result. Good luck with the build and I look forward to your progress reports.

You did not mention the tripod brand?
I recently went through the same scenario as to what to buy to support my Nikons and Binoculars.
I found the new Manfrotto 055 series to be of good value, very sturdy, and fits my requirement, observing from a seated position. Its also adorned with a sturdy trigger grip.

Manfrotto Binocular setup

I hope your successfull with your build.

You did not mention the tripod brand?

I recently went through the same scenario as to what to buy to support my Nikons and Binoculars.

I found the new Manfrotto 055 series to be of good value, very sturdy, and fits my requirement, observing from a seated position. Its also adorned with a sturdy trigger grip.

I hope your successfull with your build.

The tripod is an Ex-Pro heavy duty professional aluminium camera tripod with Pro ball head  sold on amazon £49.99 and is well built but is just a bit short to enable me to stand  up right to look through them . see link for tripod 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001LG6S2G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Similar set-up to my 3LT/T There is no reach and in your case not enough height.

Only if you shorten the legs one side, will you gain any reach! but  then balance becomes an issue?

The Manfrotto has a central extension  that can be  positioned horizontally. I still have to shorten the legs  a notch or two, to correct the balance, as the 222TG is heavy along with any camera, binocular,  but in my image depicted above, the set-up is very stable, in this position.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pete 

That's a fair point but with a little help from my colleague I hope to get all necessary metal correctly cut and drilled right . I have also just purchased a reclining zero gravity chair  but have yet to try out if only will this cloud  clear. 

A zero gravity chair? I have wondered about this phenomenon. Firstly, where are you going to experience zero gravity? Secondly, if you were in zero gravity, why in the world would you need a chair?

Archived