Newbie from NW London(Harrow)

capt_biggles

Hello all

I have always been fascinated by the stars when I was younger, and looking through binoculars, gave an idea, of what's out there.

Been impressed with pictures of galaxies, nubulae's etc. and the depth of colours that people manage to capture.

My main hobby is aviation & aviation photography, and this led me to try to obtain the equipment and  develop the skills which I am hoping to transfer to my newest hobby of astronomy.

I purchased a meade etx105uhtc with a #884 field tripod a few years back, and have been slowly adding eyepieces to this setup, and now I think I am ready to setting up the scope and seeing what is out there. Once my skills have developed further, then may contemplate looking for a 8/10'' scope.

My scope sessions normally involve my yougest 13 year old, as the boss is more than happy sitting in front of the google-box.

I thing that I have found frustrating is attaching a DSLR to the prime focus, as I have not been able to get anything in focus, and I think that this will be down to the lack of experience, and also getting clear nights, especially living in outer London.

Hopefully over the christmas break, with some clear nights, will give me a chance to set the scope up and get a chance to do some seeing!

Any hints/tips, would be gratefully received, as I have been trawling this and other forums for helpful information, in order to progress/develop this fascinating hobby further. :p

Hi Capt_biggles and welcome to SGL, try Weasner`s mighty ETX site with regard to your Meade ETX 105 scope, there is wealth of information that may be of help to you. There is also the very popular London based Astronomy group " The Baker Street Irregulars" who meet in Regents park on a regular basis, ( if I remember correctly, just a tube trip for you residing in Harrow ), you would need to have look at their web site for details of their meetings, but it may well be worth you and your Son paying them a visit in the near future, where you would, no doubt, gain a lot of first hand information, on the many queries you want to raise,  enjoy the forum :)

Hi All

many thanks for the warm reception and kind words.

just to give you all my current equipment

Scope is Meade ETX105UHTC, #884 field tripod, 40/32/24/2015/9.7/6.4mm, 7.5-22.5mm Seben zoom, 2*Barlow, Canon7d,50d,350d(all unmoded), Bahtinov...

Still a newbie, and frustrated with cloudy nights.

Did managed to get a quick snap of the recent crescent moon and venus, as I was getting ready for work.

I will lookup the site for the Baker St Irregulars, and hope the weather is kind over christmas - but long range weather forecast does not look good :clouds1:

I did manage to get the scope out briefly and the finder is way out of line with the scope, so this will be my first task.

Archived