Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

iwols

PARKED POSITION HEQ5

hi all when in the parked position should you see polaris through the polar scope just a daft question i know cheers

The scope when  parked will show Polaris if viewed through a EP, the mount should always point at the Polaris (as it doesn't move)   in the polar scope circle,  so Polaris will always be visible provided you have the hole in the weight bar in the right position.....

• Like 1

Hi, if set up right, polaris should be  nearby in the little circle or concentric to the larger circle, someone on here should know for certain. all the best tony. :smiley:

Tecnosky 80 EDT, 8" altair astro F4 newt, 8" Meade SCT UTC, 8" orion GX200 F5, SX TRIUS 825 mono + Lodestar X2 mono, EQ6 pro on custom pier, Sx usb  wheel + OAG, rigel nfocus, meade 1209 focus, EQ5, i-nova nbb-cx colour, orion G3 colour, canon 300d, vixen 102m, 127 mak, orion mini guider, altair 60 mm guider kit, roll off obs and most other things we need!

• Like 1

hi all when in the parked position should you see polaris through the polar scope just a daft question i know cheers

Short answer is NO.

With the HEQ5 mount in the parked position (Home position) then the polarscope viewing hole is blocked by the Dec Axis spindle... you would need to rotate the DEC axis by approx 90deg to be able to see through the polarscope.

This is quite normal for the majority of SW EQ mounts.

Hope this makes sense.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

• Like 3

thanks so while im getting used to setting up my mount for my camera would i be better getting a finder scope to go alongside my camera (live view not brilliant) just to make sure im aligning correctly and also for future use if i buy a telescope

or spotting scope

Hi Iwols,

A finder scope would leave you with a mounting problem since the majority are designed to attach directly to a telescope.

A spotting scope is one option but you would need to be sure it has the correct dovetail mounting fitting to suit the mount.

A better alternative would be the following: -

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-startravel-80-ota.html

This has several advantages...

1. It is much the same price as a decent spotting scope.

2. It has the correct mounting hardware for the mount.

3. It has a top connection for your camera.

4. It can be used as a scope in it's own right.

5. It can serve as an excellent guide scope for a later imaging scope... which is something you will need for long exposure astrophotography.

Whichever you choose I would suggest you do a rough polar alignment of the mount without anything mounted on it... this will eliminate any potential clashes with the mount legs when you rotate the RA axis to get the Polaris hour angle in the right place.

It also places less stress on the mount adjustment bolts (which are quite flimsy) by reducing the load.

Finer alignment can then be performed using the Synscan handset Polar alignment routines or Drift Alignment using the scope.

Good luck and clear skies.

Best regards.

Edited by Lonestar70
  • Like 1

If your just using a DSLR on a mount then you can get a red dot finder which fits in the DSLR flash holder on the top of the camera.

Short answer is NO.

With the HEQ5 mount in the parked position (Home position) then the polarscope viewing hole is blocked by the Dec Axis spindle... you would need to rotate the DEC axis by approx 90deg to be able to see through the polarscope.

This is quite normal for the majority of SW EQ mounts.

Hope this makes sense.

Best regards.

That is incorrect. With the mount in the parked or home position, which is normally the same thing, Polaris should be visible in the pole finder scope. if you need to rotate the mount 90 degrees on the dec axis to see Polaris the simple trick is to loosen the three small grub screws that hold the puck in place and rotate the puck and dec axis shaft so that light path to the pole finder scope is not blocked and then retighten the grub screws.

Hi Peter,

I agree with you as far as the alteration is concerned, however, not wishing to confuse the OP any further, I was stating things as is supplied by the factory.

It even specifies on page 10 of the mount manual that you will need to rotate the DEC axis to be able to see through the polarscope.

The change of position is certainly worth doing for future use though, since it only takes a couple of minutes to do, however this is not a procedure mentioned in the manual.

Best regards.

Hi Iwols,

A finder scope would leave you with a mounting problem since the majority are designed to attach directly to a telescope.

A spotting scope is one option but you would need to be sure it has the correct dovetail mounting fitting to suit the mount.

A better alternative would be the following: -

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-startravel-80-ota.html

This has several advantages...

1. It is much the same price as a decent spotting scope.

2. It has the correct mounting hardware for the mount.

3. It has a top connection for your camera.

4. It can be used as a scope in it's own right.

5. It can serve as an excellent guide scope for a later imaging scope... which is something you will need for long exposure astrophotography.

Whichever you choose I would suggest you do a rough polar alignment of the mount without anything mounted on it... this will eliminate any potential clashes with the mount legs when you rotate the RA axis to get the Polaris hour angle in the right place.

It also places less stress on the mount adjustment bolts (which are quite flimsy) by reducing the load.

Finer alignment can then be performed using the Synscan handset Polar alignment routines or Drift Alignment using the scope.

Good luck and clear skies.

Best regards.

must admit this looks just what im  looking for thanks

Hi Peter,

I agree with you as far as the alteration is concerned, however, not wishing to confuse the OP any further, I was stating things as is supplied by the factory.

It even specifies on page 10 of the mount manual that you will need to rotate the DEC axis to be able to see through the polarscope.

The change of position is certainly worth doing for future use though, since it only takes a couple of minutes to do, however this is not a procedure mentioned in the manual.

Best regards.

This is probably correct with the EQ5 but not with the HEQ5. My HEQ5 was supplied with the polar finder scope almost, but not quite, fully exposed when the mount was set at the home position. This probably depends more on how the mount was assembled rather than anything else.

This is probably correct with the EQ5 but not with the HEQ5. My HEQ5 was supplied with the polar finder scope almost, but not quite, fully exposed when the mount was set at the home position. This probably depends more on how the mount was assembled rather than anything else.

Yes I do think it varies with mount build and does not appear to be type specific... more like pot luck really.

My own HEQ5 pro required the DEC rotated almost a complete 90 deg before I got a clear view through the polarscope.

I have since adjusted mine to allow the view at Home position as I find it more convenient.

I think the OP would be better off not being concerned about this aspect at this time and concentrate on becoming more familiar with the mount.

Then, if thought necessary, the adjustment required can be explored later.

Best regards.

Interesting - my HEQ5 pro also requires the Dec to be at 90 deg from home position to see through the polar scope.  I didn't know you could adjust it, but having it viewable while at home would be very handy.  Any tips on how to do that?