SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A new deep sky atlas

Martin Meredith

I'd like to announce the first all-sky release of a new deep atlas: 

The atlas was conceived to support electronically-assisted observing, but it will also be useful for other deep sky enthusiasts, both visual and imaging. Some might be interested in the object index which can be used independently of the charts, and which allows filtering more than 100000 DSOs by constellation, and sorting on any number of properties e.g. magnitude, angular size, redshift etc. The atlas is free and simply requires a decent PDF viewer (I recommend Acrobat). The whole thing is a rather large download but can be acquired by constellation or seasonal groups. 
All the bundled constellations (e.g. north circumpolar) are already there, but some of the individual constellations (mainly spring/summer) are still being uploaded. If you experience any problems, let me know. There are daily download limits on dropbox that could conceivably be breached  :grin:
Martin
  • Like 14

Martin,

Thank you for putting this together. It is an incredible effort and a great benefit to the community. I am already enjoying the indexes and have found a few galaxy clusters I missed which look very interesting. Combined with the maps should really make exploring the deep skies very enjoyable.

Hiten

Thanks Michael, Hiten and Alex.

The remaining constellations are uploading as we speak (though Leo et al are already there in the Spring bundle…). I was up early this morning and spotted Leo so maybe it is spring already, although at -4C maybe not.

Nice idea about the name Alex given that the maps are crawling with PGCs. Actually, the existing name arose when I was showing the maps to an astronomical acquaintance who thought mag 18 was pretty deep, and it stuck. Rod Mollise mentioned an earlier version of the maps on his blog, calling them "insanely deep", which I also like a lot, but being British I'm going to stick with the understated version for now ;-)

Martin

Thanks Laudropb, Ruud, Rob, Michael and Dave.

Dave, I'm pleased the download went fine. It means I must have some dropbox bandwidth left (I have the pro account which gives me up to 100G of traffic a day apparently, which means up to 11 people/day can download the whole monster ;-).

I'll soon be writing up what some of the chart annotations actually mean…

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great stuff Martin,

Sucessfull down load and unzip, the PDF files appear in the my directory and will open up with data but no map appears.

Downloaded and opens on my Kindle Fire 7 also, but no map.

Suggestions/

Thanks,

Chuck

Thanks for all the reply's.  I got it now, I did not realize I needed to get the Finder first. Lots of info and I just missed the basic part of the process.

I think we are off and running now. Looks extremely interesting.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck1
spelling and word insert.

Got it Martin,

I pulled out all the stuff from the proper folder, downloaded the North Circumpolar, unzipped to the folder and all seems well. So will press on with the rest of the downloads as time permits.

I see what I did wrong, I was kinda looking for .EXE or .MSI type of thing. We are good to go until the next question!!!

Thanks,:happy11:

Chuck