Narrowband

Very frustrated

D Wright

Stupid weather. It happen to me yet again last night. I was at work until nine and while I was at work the skies were beautiful and clear all evening and still were when I got home. I packed all my stuff in the car and headed off to my viewing point, about 20 mins drive. When I got there it had clouded over completely. This has happened to me so many times.

My last time viewing any stars was October 15th at the Kielder star camp and since then it has been cloudy every night I have been off or clear until I finish work then cloudy. With the exception of one beautiful clear night about a month ago when there was no moon and the sky was breathtaking, but it was so windy I could not put the scope up, so it was bins that night.

This is frustrating me particularly as I have done numerous mods to my scope and mount and I havn't had a chance to how they work out.

There, I feel better now having had my rant. Surely there must be some clear weather sometime, but alas the weather forcast is for more clouds and rain.

Your experience happened to most of us, in the end if there's space and funds a Obby is the way to go, take me less than a minute to open the roof and fire up the PC, slightly longer to shut down as i have to wait for the CCD to warm up (couple of minutes) but the roof will be closed.....

I have to travel somewhere to use my scope as we live in a terraced house with a road at the front and back with a small back yard enclosed with 6ft brick walls. Also there is a street light front and back right outside our house. 

Feel you frustration - same here just down the road. Always clear when Im on nights ! Its been 2 months since my scope saw the darkness. Fed up of the weather  - incessant rain and wind. We're not the lakes for nothing though. Fingers crossed for a settled new year.

Many sympathies. I think one of the great benefits of the forum is that sense of camaraderie that helps you ( and certainly me) get through long periods of observational inactivity. (I was going to say "dry" periods, but that would be too much!) I can imagine many folks packing it all in because of the weather - so hang in there and stay tuned in.

Quite understand and I to live in a Terrace property.

Through perseverance, there will come a time when you will find yourself at your no doubt wonderful Cumbrian (or Cumbria / Northumberland border) dark sky location under a perfect sky with hours of joyful stargazing ahead.

You might need to pitch yourself however to check that it is real.

I share your frustration as it has been so cloudy recently it's not true. I do wonder though if it really is or is it the fact that I started Astronomy a few years ago and only now do I realise what retched cloud and weather we regularly get in the UK?

As someone else has mentioned an Observatory is the way to go, but for me at the moment this is not possible maybe in a few years time, until then battle on!

This Friday looks like it may be a clear night down my way. But guess what I have prior arrangements all weekend so no chance! Think of me as I whilst fully look out of the windows imagining what could have been... :Envy:

Reading that back makes me feel like a bad / selfish person as really I should be more positive with family coming over. :blush: But I am sure you guys know what I mean..?

Very frustrating it is, but we have all been there many, many times.Just to rub salt into the wound, last Friday/ Saturday we had two Grandchildren staying over. We were worn out by the end of the day and fell into bed at about 11pm, and I slept "like a log".The following day on SGL I discovered I had missed an absolutely stunning night with stable atmoshere and mags.possible only rarely!

Such is life. Just don't give up, there will be another night. :smiley:

This hobby can try your patience! I still haven't seen the Orion Nebula this season yet. It had better be good!! :grin:

When I did imaging it was frustrating to set up for 45 mins or so and then it fogs/clouds over. :angry4:

Lovely when you do get a good session in, though. It helps me to remember how amazing the universe is, one view is so precious.

I suppose I am quite lucky, I have had some stunning views of the Orion nebula this year. Also quite a few galaxies and clusters. The thing I am most looking forward to seeing are the planets. I am new to astronomy having only started in the summer and there is so much I haven't seen yet . I am a very patient person so I will keep waiting and I am sure I will be rewarded soon.

I suppose I am quite lucky, I have had some stunning views of the Orion nebula this year. Also quite a few galaxies and clusters. The thing I am most looking forward to seeing are the planets. I am new to astronomy having only started in the summer and there is so much I haven't seen yet . I am a very patient person so I will keep waiting and I am sure I will be rewarded soon.

Glad to hear you are patient, it's a definite requirement for an amateur astronomer...  :grin:

Night off tonight, just looked outside at the sky and it is clear with lots of stars. Great you may think thats what I have been waiting for, alas the car is in the garage for repairs and I can't go anywhere. DRAT!   :sad: :sad: :sad:

"Look at it this way, it can't get any worse ........." You think?  There's a saying that I heard once, something  on the lines of - the man said "smile, it could be worse", so I smiled and indeed it did get worse!  Here, just now, its chucking it down with rain, the winds blowing a hoolie and there are flood warnings all over. The dogs are curled up together, which means "walk, you have got to be joking!" Looking out of the window, I'm sure I can see our neighbour building what looks like an ark.  The scopes went in two by two?

Archived