SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Optical Wonder Cleaning Cloth

I am buying some of that Baader Wonder Cleaning Fluid and was wondering if it is worth buying the cloth to go with it. Would microfibre cloth do instead? I don't know what the Baader cloth is made of. I don't really want to use paper wipes.

Cheers

Brian

I thought that cleaning lenses was frowned upon? I know that it's ok to use compressed air in a can or similar. Though if you get a lens dirty or covered in finger marks due to being less than careful I don't see what else you can do.

I thought that cleaning lenses was frowned upon? I know that it's ok to use compressed air in a can or similar. Though if you get a lens dirty or covered in finger marks due to being less than careful I don't see what else you can do.

I don't bother with lenses, I use them for CCD filters and the little window in-front of the CCD sensor.

I don't think you should clean eyepieces more than is needed but, as every photon you will see will pass though the eyepiece lenses, if they are dusty or greasy I certainly would try and get them as close to pristine as I could. A dirty eyepiece lens can reduce resolution and increase light scatter quite noticeably.

It's been mentioned here in the past, that the propellants in aerosols can have/leave  undesired results on your optics. 

Speak to an optician or look at Tele Vue cleaning instructions. http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=103#.Vl9VlnbhCJA

I have no hesitation to use a puffer bottle like the Giotto Rocket, and then use a Zeiss wipe as previously mentioned.

It surprises me how often folk say leave them well alone, as if there's some washable coating that will fall off, in-contact with its first clean. Unless the cleaning solution is corrosive to the reflective surfaces, or silicon dioxide on your mirrors, as long as you air on caution, and clean gently, why not clean them,and keep them clean?

Archived