SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I'd say that’s totally up to you, if you've room on the scope then there's no reason not to have both on there. Try both and see how you get on, if it’s awkward or it's not comfortable then try removing the finder.

Hi Paul,

That's the eternal question....

I use a Telrad on my dob, it gives a 1:1 ratio image whereas, I use an Altair Astro 60mm Finder scope on my refractor.

See the thread on SGL:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/257110-telrad-died-replace-or-new-finderscope/?hl=Telrad

Telrad are excellent in use, however, they should not be left on the scope in bright sunlight, they have been known to start melting....

Cheers

Adrian

I primarily use the default 9x50 finderscope, with the Telrad mounted far side.

Its still reachable from my seated position. They can be mounted on a riser too, to aid scope position, and your reach to the finder.

This is my second unit, but only gets used from my darker viewing sites. I also have to wear glasses to see the Telrad reticule clearly.

If you have moderately light polution free sky, then you may not need both. My sky is about 5.5 NELM. I find that a finderscope is unnecessary as I can get pretty close to the target with the Telrad and visible stars. If you have worse sky, then you will need both as you won't be able to see the fainter stars without your finder scope.

Paul

I've put a Telrad on my 10" Dob but kept the finderscope on too. I use them in conjunction with each other and it works pretty well. If you have space for both, I'd say keep the both on until you find there's one you don't use.

I use a Rigel Quikfinder, which is similar to the Telrad, together with a 9x50 right angle, correct image finder on my 12" dob. To me, this has proved to be a very versatile finding combination for a wide range of astro targets. I have positioned them so that I can go from one to the other and then to the eyepiece of the scope with minimal movement.

I have the 200p Dob and usually observe from my back garden. There is moderate light pollution and I have found using a Rigel finder fine to get to the general position of a target, but often have to use my RACIs magnified view to refine my search. I have found this a very good combination.

You can use the telrad to get you close enough. Then if you want to, use the finder to home in on your object, or area of sky.

I think the Telrad is still the best, RDF, in my opinion. I've owned one since 1990, and it's still in use today, despite using GOTO.

Archived