Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BST Starguider eyepiece as upgrades

Ok, seeing as Christmas is coming up and family are asking me what I want, I am thinking about possible upgrades to the stock 25mm and 10mm eyepiece that came with my Skywatcher 200P Dob. It's the f6 version. I have pretty much decided that I will go for BST Starguiders, as they are a decent match for my budget. Not the best, but a good upgrade for the price.

Looking at the sizes they come in I think I am right in saying that the 5mm eyepiece would give me 240x magnification, which is probably above the useable range in the UK, where 200x is the max recommended due to light pollution and general seeing conditions? I live with a fair bit of light pollution, but can get to fairly dark skies about 30 mins away on the North York Moors.

I see that they also do 8mm, 12mm 15mm and 18mm. I was toying with maybe getting the 12mm and 18mm and a 2x Barlow. This would give me effectively 18mm, 12mm, 9mm and 6mm. Does this sound right, or have I got it all wrong? If I can't get them all at the same time, which should I get first?

They are a nice upgrade from the stock eyepieces. Getting the 18mm and 12mm and the Barlow would give you a nice range of x66 - x200. Keeping the 25mm for x48 gives you a very nice spread of magnification, well within the scopes capabilities, and allowing for the 'wonderful' conditions we get here in the UK! And they are VERY comfortable to use.

I bought the 8mm first,  its a stunning eyepiece to replace the supplied Super 10mm you have!

The 12mm sounds a good option too, as this can be Barlowed to 6mm giving 200X from the scope.

Because, and only because Starguiders don't come in the 6mm size (yet?)  I secured myself a 6mm from the William Optics SPL range,  just to get a dedicated 6mm EP for one task?

As you can see from my signature I've obtained the full set of BSTs  1: They were within  my  enforced budget at the time. 2 : their good for my eyes 3: I could go on..... :smiley:

Well I went ahead and ordered 12mm and 18mm Starguiders and a 2 x barlow this morning after checking what the price would be direct rather than going through EBay. I got a 7.5% discount paying by bank transfer, which was nice. Alan was very quick answering my emails, so hopefully delivery will be speedy too. Looking forward to clear skies and using them.

Well I went ahead and ordered 12mm and 18mm Starguiders and a 2 x barlow this morning after checking what the price would be direct rather than going through EBay. I got a 7.5% discount paying by bank transfer, which was nice. Alan was very quick answering my emails, so hopefully delivery will be speedy too. Looking forward to clear skies and using them.

Now everyone knows? With deals like that, he'll be worked of his feet!

I think I read somebody on here saying it was cheaper if you ordered through the website, as it saves him paying the EBay fees, but the site just currently links to EBay. So I emailed and asked and was told it was 2.5% off if you didn't use EBay, a further 2.5% if you ordered multiple items, and then another 2.5% off if you used Bank Transfer instead of card. Works for me. :laugh:

Do let us know how you get on with the new EPs! I recently got the 250PX Dob and I'm also looking at the Starguiders as upgrades to the stock EPs. I just have to decide what focal lengths to get! I'm also planning to get a SW Panaview 32mm 2" to gain some wide field capability.

Ed

Ed........I know of other folk using BSTs on faster scopes. The f/4.7 250PX should work well with a 5mm Starguider, almost matching the focal ratio, yet the 8mm in such a nice eyepiece, and could be Barlowed to 4mm. Maybe try an 8mm and 12mm?

The Panaview is nice, with its 70°afov.

Do let us know how you get on with the new EPs! I recently got the 250PX Dob and I'm also looking at the Starguiders as upgrades to the stock EPs. I just have to decide what focal lengths to get! I'm also planning to get a SW Panaview 32mm 2" to gain some wide field capability.

Ed

Yeah, no bother...........if we get any decent weather soon.

Well I received the eyepieces today (delivery attempted yesterday when I was at work), and I have to say first impressions are very favourable in build quality alone. They look well built and substantial compared to my stock eyepieces. All I need now is decent weather.

Archived