Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Gina

DIY Moon Phase Dial

Having a narrower top section for the moon globe has two advantages - less to cut out and better shielding of the globe from ambient light.  I can make up the narrower version and see how it looks.

Here's another idea.

Claock Frame 04.JPG

Edited by Gina

This black plastic scope cap placed behind the clock gives an idea of the appearance with this width of top section.  I'll see if I can find a smaller cap to show a narrower top too.

Clock with Frame 03.jpg

• Like 2

I've designed and now trying to 3D print a black ABS front frame for the moon globe using my GinaRep Titan printer.  However, something went wrong and it printed the wrong object :(  Now I'm waiting for the bed to cool down so that I can take the wrong print off before printing the right item.  I think I need to arrange a gert big fan to blow on the print bed to cool it down :D

Moon Globe Front Frame 01.JPG

• Like 1

I changed the bed temperature to make sure I was printing the right object as that shows on the display as soon as the object is selected.  It's ringt now and bed heating up for another go...

Seems to have printed alright :)  I won't know for sure until it's cooled and I can get it off the bed.

A couple of photos - part way through printing and print finished.

Moon Globe Front Frame 02.jpgMoon Globe Front Frame 03.jpg

Looking good, on tehhgome straight now.

I#d be tempted to line the whole interior with the blue card even if it is a bit fiddley.

• Like 1

I've run that through my "babelfish" and " tehhgome " has become " the home " :)  Yes, gradually getting there :)

I presume you mean take the card up the sides as well as covering the whole area.  Yes, I think that's a good idea.  The top part containing the moon globe I plan to line with "blacker than black" velour that I bought from FLO so that the moon appears against a black sky.  Or did you mean put blue card at the back of the moon?

Edited by Gina

The 3D print was rubbish - lots of air and very little filament :(  I need to adjust some settings...

> " tehhgome "

Fingers faster than brain...

Just the 'clock box', I agree black will look better for the moon.

• Like 1

Oh this is going to come down to so much personal taste Gina but I like the look of the first of those three designs.  Number three is good as well.

Jim

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Lol! The fan is an essential item - though mine isn't 'Gert Big'... ;-)

IMG_0819_zpsaxakiu6r.jpg

ChrisH

I'm thinking of an 80mm PC fan (or maybe 12omm) with shaped duct to direct cool air onto the bed.

Edited by Gina

In addition to printing parameters, I have altered the design a bit to hold the curved aluminium part in a slot.  Estimated printing time is now 56m.

Moon Globe Front Frame 04.JPG

Edited by Gina

Now have my GinaRep Titan 3D printer producing usable prints and the front part has printed fine so I've decided to print the back too.  Same design regarding holding the thin aluminium sheet but now with the middle filled in.  Printing time about 1½ hours.

Moon Globe Back 01.jpg

Photos of the moon dial front.

Moon Globe Front Frame 05.jpgMoon Globe Front Frame 06.jpgMoon Globe Front Frame 07.jpg

• Like 1

With having to partly re-do the moon drive, I've been doing some thinking.  The gear that drives the moon cover is right behind the dial and only really confuses things.  It also causes a problem with the background panel or card which needs a slot.  I'm wondering whether to move the gearing out of the clock space and into the top.  I would keep the ratchet wheel to the side together with pauls and cam lever but take the drive up through the top of the clock box and put the spur gears out of the way.

I know in some ways, it's nice to see all the workings but the moon cover drive gear (labelled "A" below) is partly hidden behind the dial.  The spur gear attached to the ratchet wheel (labelled "B") would go too, with both gears going behind the picture frame.  Also, I'm not too keen on the drive paul being behind the fixed paul (labelled "C") but that's less of a point.  I'm mainly just thinking that removing the gears from behind the dial would produce a tidier result.  As usual I'm open to opinions :)

Moon Drive Options 01.jpg

Edited by Gina

Maybe a smaller dial just showing the teeth of the larger gear and the rest of the drive sitting on a shelf hidden by the background. The case would probably look better oblong then rather than square.

:hmh: I nearly suggested larger gears to keep the dial the same but the case would still probably look better oblong.

John

-

• Like 1

When you say an oblong case, do you mean like this, John?

Claock Frame 05.JPG

Thank you for your thoughts, John, but I think I'll continue with what I've got and see how it looks when finished.