Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep33_banner.thumb.jpg.75d09b4b1b4e5bdb1393e57ce45e6a32.jpg

swag72

IC1805 in mono ....... waiting for colour or not ...... !!

Here's something that's been sitting on my PC since August! Not sure why I've done nothing with it. Anyway, for me this is an eternal favourite, I love it. But there's the problem ...... do I collect colour data (I've already done the Heart in Bi colour before) or just leave it as a mono rendition?

Interestingly, I had to go back and check my data prior to stretch as to the left of the middle there's a dark circle around a detail of nebulosity. It was so pronounced here that I thought I'd messed up on the processing ........... Glad to say that it IS indeed there. Not noticed it before. What I love about this, is that I can get the whole heart in one frame :D

Details:

Details:
M: Avalon LInear Fast reverse
T: Takahashi FSQ85 0.73x
C: QSI683 with 1.25" Ha filters

23x1800s in Ha totalling 11.5 hours. 

post-5681-0-23204300-1448792315_thumb.pn

Edited by swag72
  • Like 16

This looks great! I think the Heart neb does respond to colour well with it's blue centre so personally I will be trying for the other channels when we next get a clear sky - if it hasn't disappeared into the West first that is...

ChrisH

I love your bi-colour image, Sara, but the mono rendition looks great too with its big tonal range and contrast - very satisfying to look at.

Adrian

It is nice to see a mono image now and again. I find that colours can be distracting at times and take your eyes off the fine detail captured.

I'm currenly also sitting on a finished HA-Version of IC1805, (4 panel mosaic).

Now that i have the fixed OIII-Non-Halo-Baader-Filter i will be persuing OIII, but this will probably take me around a half a year.

It seems to me sometimes that the HA looks amazing with contrast, and when you add OIII & SII, it takes away a little of the breathtaking contrast.

But somehow something in my head that this is just an excuse not having to fight hard for that OIII & SII-Data :)

So much said - its a phenomenal image you have made. I'd be interested in a crop of the bottom right hand side's background to see the noise level?

Kind regards, Graem

Edited by graemlourens

Hi all and thanks for your comments! Looks like it will stay mono then! :D

Did you think it was noisy then Graem? 

I don't know, thats why i'd love to see a crop of the right bottom corner :) (The image you attached is too small for me to be able to see background noise levels)

As i have been getting as much SNR as possible on this target, i'd love to compare it to mine (this will be my first huge 2 meter by 1 meter printout) - i have been not able to pull out as much contrast as you,  could be related to my bad sky quality or integration time. Just out of interest.

Edited by graemlourens
  • Like 1

I hate looking this closely Graem - If there's a problem, too much noise or un-round stars I DONT want to know :D I'm more of a pretty picture kind of girl than a pixel peeper :)

This is a 100% crop of the bottom right.

post-5681-0-93888500-1448909990_thumb.pn

Edited by swag72
  • Like 1

Thx, that is a beautiful background.... and stars are perfect!

I just saw your flickr page, a huge library for me to compare exposure times on targets. 

Stunning pictures - you've gotten around the sky i see :)

Kind regards, Graem

Terrific image Sara. I hadn't seen it presented in that orientation before. Makes it look even ruder than normal, don't you think?

Steve

It really helps to see work this good, it sets a STD for me to attain but alas; it is difficult in the u.k with this eternal poor weather!

Ray

Cheers guys for looking and commenting :)

Sadly I don;t think I could explain the rudeness that I see without getting a perma-ban from the forum!! :D

I think either mono or colour suit this target very well. I love it as it is though Sara. Lovely work.

Pete

A lovely chunky helping of Ha reaching parts of the target not normally seen. I'd call that deep!

Nicely done, of course, but no surprises there.  :icon_salut:

Olly

Am i the only one that doesnt quite see the "rude thing"?

I think you might be!!!

:grin: lly

• Like 1

Thank you Sara, I often like B&W better than colour!

This Hα has beautiful, rich tones.

Thanks Olly - I am pleased that it's not only me!!! I know that you are partial to calling this the 'Members member' :D

Thanks Ruud :) Glad that you like it.

Edited by swag72
  • Like 1

I can see what you mean in Sara's great picture. My first attempt at IC1805 this spring (one shot with a Canon 60Da on an ES ED80) really looked more like the final proof of existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (http://www.venganza.org/about/). I will do my best to capture the rudeness in my next attempt....

post-44514-0-05656700-1449008869_thumb.j

Edited by gorann

Thanks Olly - I am pleased that it's not only me!!! I know that you are partial to calling this the 'Members member' :D

Thanks Ruud :) Glad that you like it.

No, the Member's Nebula which resonates verbally, for me, with the entirely unconnected 'Members' Banking' at Brooklands, the pre-war race track. I just like words and play around with them endlessly!

Olly