Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

MikeODay

Pleiades - The Seven Sisters ( Messier 45 )

Pleiades - The Seven Sisters ( Messier 45 ) by Mike O'Day ( 500px.com/mikeoday )

Still not entirely happy with this one - I ran out of time to get a set of longer exposures during the short period I had with Pleiades high enough above the Northern horizon ( 30 deg peak altitude from my location ) and since then the weather and moon have conspired against me!

Description:

Pleides in the Taurus Constellation ( Messier 45 ) by Mike O'Day ( 500px.com/MikeODay )

Pleides ( aka The Seven Sisters ) is visible to the naked eye low in the northen skies in the early summer of the Southern Hemisphere.

It is bright open cluster of hundreds of blue stars in clouds of nebulosity that are relatively close to earth at around 430 light years distance.

Links:

500px.com/MikeODay

photo.net/photos/MikeODay

Details:

Messier 45 - RA 3h 48m, Dec -24deg 10'.

Skywatcher Quattro 10" f4 Newtonian.

Skywatcher AZ Eq6 GT Mount.

Orion Short Tube 80mm guide scope & auto guider - PHD2.

Baader MPCC Mark 3 Coma Corrector & UHC-S 'nebula' filter.

Nikon D5300 (unmodified).

Field of view (deg) ~ 1.35 x 0.90.

Combination of 80 images from 4 sec @ ISO100 through to 40 sec @ ISO 800.

Pixinsight & Photoshop

17 October 2015

• Like 9

Thats a VERY nice image... Well done

Cheers, much appreciated.

Lovely image of an old favourite. Thanks for posting.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Varavall
      I sell my refurbished Nikon 300mm AF-S VR f2,8G ED with Nikon warranty until September 2020. I am selling as my interests require different equipment. It is in excellent functional state, the tripod mount and the original Nikon hood have wear commensurate with normal use. This objective is excellent for wildlife photography, astrophotography and sports photography. Also included is a set of Gobe neutral density filters to enable long exposure in bright conditions. I would consider exchange, with monetary adjustment if necessary, for something for astronomy such as Takahashi telescopes and/or quality equatorial mount.

Price £1900 (Current model available new for around £5500)

• By ScouseSpaceCadet
      For sale - A well looked after immaculate condition Sky-Watcher Startravel 120 ota including tube rings/dovetail, 2" Sky-Watcher dielectric diagonal and 2" Baader Semi-Apo filter - £290. 
      There are the usual pock marks on the dovetail bar and a couple of scratches on the diagonal nosepiece caused by retention screws. The ota objective is dust free. Only selling due to a purchase of a 150mm  newtonian, (the viewing position doesn't kick off my bad back) and I don't have storage space for three telescopes.
      Brand new these items would cost in the region of £440.
      I will consider splitting the items only if the package doesn't sell within a reasonable time.
      Collection only from Liverpool. Payment via Paypal (buyer pays fees) or cash on collection.
      Social distancing rules required.
      PM if interested. Thanks for looking.

+ 2" to 1.25" draw tube adapter and end cap. There's also a 2" end cap no shown in the pics above.

• By Crignog
      Hi! I'm very new to astronomy and have ordered a SkyWatcher StarQuest 130p as my first telescope, which arrives soon. As I understand it the tripod is the biggest weak link in the setup. Is it possible for me to buy a replacement, better tripod to improve my viewing experience overall?

Apart from the tripod what would you recommend upgrading?

Thanks!
    • By Gevorg
      Hello!
      I am trying to setup the Skywatcher MC 102/1300 SkyMax BD AZ-S GoTo telescope+mount.
      What I did:
      Start from parking mode. The telescope is aligned to north. Turned it on and aligned with 2 stars. During the alignment the tracking is turning on all the time and moving the telescope position. Then when I try to go to some star the north/south motion never ends. While the East/West motion stops at right location. This is really wild to me. Can someone help with understanding what is the problem ?

Thanks,
      Gevorg.
    • By c4llum83
      Found various threads on here and other forums about flocking dobsonians/newtonians but couldn't find specific images of disassembly of the very popular SkyWatcher Heritage 130p flextube and flocking of the OTA.
      So having ordered some DC-Fix black velour sticky back material (can be got from various places including FLO) I thought i'd share some photos of the process from start to finish as it may help someone else in the future... 
      Images below with notes... 
      1. Focuser and shield flocking

This was the easy bit. A strip stuck inside the focuser, and just unscrew the shield, draw round it, cut the material and align and smooth down. In the last image above you can already see the significant improvement on reducing reflections comparing the flocked shield to the unflocked tube... 

Notice my version of Bob's Knobs on the secondary mirror which are just black steel M4 25mm knurled thumbscrews bought off ebay for about £7 - along with the thumbscrews already on the 130P primary mirror this makes any fine collimation easy and completely tool free! 
      For full stealth mode I've also painted the edge and rear of the secondary mirror, and any exposed screw heads with blackboard paint to reduce reflections. 

2. OTA disassembly and tube before

Note the cutout in the lower primary housing and the top ring. This aligns with the ridge of the tube seam, and means there is only one way to reassemble the telescope tube and mirror and one place for the handful of screws (4 at the bottom, 3 at the top). You'll also need an allen key to remove the 3 bolts for the dovetail mount. Simple! 
      Now you're ready to Flock 'N' Roll! 👍🏻

3. Flocking the tube

You'll need approx. 50cmx29cm of the material to do the tube in one go, starting along the seam. As others have described just take your time here, peel off about an inch of the backing and get the edge aligned with the tube seam stick down firmly and smooth out any air bubbles. 
      Then slowly keep peeling more backing (rip and remove if the excess gets in the way) and smooth down as you go, turning the tube and affixing the velour material. 

4. Finished flocking and close up during application so you can see contrast/reflection comparison of before and after.

All in all only took around an hour so not a hard job as long as you prepare and concentrate! I ordered one sheet of 45cm x 1m material which was plenty, however if your not as confident you'll get it right first time then order 2m so you have more to spare if you need to start again. 
      Looks great, so as always I now just need clear skies to go play and see the difference it makes! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.