Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing C/2013 US10 - Catalina

A tail of two comets for me !  Having seen S2 Panstarrs earlier in the night in Draco, had my first view of Catalina. It was quite an easy target in 10x50s around 6am.  In the ST80 just below a pair of 6th mag. stars with Catalina looking like a slightly bloated /extended star.  Clouds were rolling over, but i thought Catalina looked brighter than mag. 6

andrew

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Studied it this morning through the SCT and convinced myself that I could see a tail. The head is diffuse with a slightly brighter core and I think a bluish cast. Tried various magnifications and neodymium and contrast boosting filters. Especially with the latter I am sure (almost) that I could detect a faint nebulous tail with AV and the old trick of moving the scope and what I could see definitely followed the head! Hoping for some images to rule out Averted Imagination!

I got up just before 6pm to observe the Comet with my 15x70 binos.  I made the decision last night to start with Venus drawing a line through star 98 to see if I could find the Comet - well all this was unnecessary. The Comet was easy to locate and view - all I need now is to use the 4" Frac or 8" Newt to see it better - hopefully!!

I bagged it yesterday morning, could see no hint of tails in my 15x70's but it was a fuzzy blob, and its my 13th comet so I am very happy I saw it!

I'm hoping it will look better as it climbs higher and it's still not at its closets to Earth, although I am doubtful it will increase in magnitude, but with comets you never know what they have in store!

I have added a rather poor image in the imaging section.

Managed to catch it just after 7am this morning in my binos, small blob but no hints of a tail at all at 8X - although the sky wasn't completely dark at this time. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see it through the scope over the weekend.

Had another view of Catalina this morning - between 6.30 and 7 the conditions were a slight haze.  It was still very obvious in binoculars, perhaps a bit larger and the brightness was holding steady.  In the telescope,  the sky was brightening ,there was no obvious tail, but the comet appeared as a slighted irregular haze.  About 15 deg above Venus and up higher  in the sky as dawn approaches.  Would be a good sight under darker conditions.

Well worth a look before breakfast !

andrew

Unexpected clear morning and Catalina and the planets on show again. As Andrew says; irregular fuzzy patch and could see no tail with either binoculars or the 100mm refractor.

I love seeing comets but wouldn't it be nice to have one with a nice obvious cometty tail!

Very nice sketch Nick.  I cannot believe the amount of cloud/rain we are having. At least I have seen it once in the 15x70 binos.

I agree on both Nick's sketch and the weather Mark - it's been really rotten :clouds2:

I've yet to see this comet but I'm glad some of us have managed to get some views of it.

I looked out the bedroom window at just after 5am and it was clear, but then fell asleep until 7. Venus, Mars and Jupiter all up but it was too light for the comet by then (in my bins). It's always a mistake to get back into bed once you get up!

Dragged myself out of bed just before 6am to almost total cloud. The cloud broke after 10 mins or so and I saw it with my 15x70s. Fairly small and faint but the conditions still not great. Had a quick look at M81/M82 awhile I was out. Breakfast now!

Lovely clear skies this morning. Venus, Jupiter and Mars looking great but I was too late for Catalina, late night doing DIY and bed too comfy to drag myself out of. Must try harder [emoji6]

I'm not the only one trying to get DIY done before Christmas then!

I'm not the only one trying to get DIY done before Christmas then!

No, you've got company! I'm trying to get a kitchen installed!! Nearly there but it's a bit hardcore at the moment.... At least the oven is working now so we don't have to eat turkey sandwiches on Christmas Day [emoji6]

A partial duplicate of a general report, but thought it might be of interest in this thread. Observed 23rd Dec 05:30. 10 inch, 48x and 120x.

Currently lurking near a nice delicate double, HD 124929 (mag 7.8 and 10.1 at 5.3"). Easier to see than a few weeks ago, with a bright nucleus and asymmetrical coma. I didn't consciously see the tails, but knowing from images that it had two tails, I asked myself where I thought they were, and my answer turned out to be absolutely bang on. Seen, but not seen.

I like to know where things are in space, and in case it's of interest to others, the comet has just crossed back over Earth's orbit, with comet, Earth and sun all around 1AU apart in a giant equilateral triangle. Earth is approaching the comet faster than the comet is moving out, and we will close to just over 0.7AU in mid January.

I asked myself where I thought they were, and my answer turned out to be absolutely bang on. Seen, but not seen.

I've had a similar experience a couple of times recently, with M1 and M14. When I was at medical school we were taught to detect a diastolic heart murmur by listening for the 'absence of silence'; similar sort of thing I suppose.

I love this sort of thing. There are visual experiences you can have through the eyepiece that you just don't get any other way - another is a partially resolved dense cluster (open or globular). One of the best aspects of the hobby IMHO.

Hello all and a merry Christmas.

I caught Catalina on the Morning of the ninth of December which ubelievably was clear for a while, and the 15x70s showed a big circular smudge, and

the scope showed a thin tail.  I caught it again on the morning of the 24th, though just a smudge through the 15x70s through passing clouds.

On the 8th and the 20th I also had a look at 2014 S2 Panstarrs with the scope, Mag 9 and not too much detail but up in draco so available should the

incredible happen again and we get an hour or two clear over the holiday.

I have not been very active lately as I have had a few months of absolute hell at work and of course the weather has been appalling, but I am starting

to get some time for my own, and visitors like these always bring my enthusiasm up

Have a good (and if possible, clear) New year

Mick.

I managed to spot it with my 70mm refractor. Not bright but clearly the comet.

Will be interesting on Jan 1st when it passes close by Arcturus to see how difficult it is to pick out.

http://freestarcharts.com/19-news-and-current-events/470-comet-catalina-c-2013-us10-moves-past-arcturus-as-it-heads-north-during-january-remains-visible-with-binoculars-and-small-telescopes

Archived