SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Recommend me an observing chair

Having recently got into this at the age of 53, I found it quite uncomfortable using my 8" Dob on a dining chair due to the inability to change the seat height. A quick search of observing chairs shows them to be quite expensive for what they are. I have seen ironing chairs mentioned as a much cheaper alternative. I have also seen drummers stools mentioned, but ones I've looked at had only a short range of adjustment. What do people recommend for use with a dob?

I don't know if this would be of any help because I use an Evo 8", so there isn't such a range of heights needed. But being even older than yourself  :lipsrsealed: I had the same problem. I bought a metal folding chair from Argos for £10, a memory foam cushion, and two hard 3" foam cushions. For maximum height I just pile them all on, memory foam on top (very comfortable!). But not sure if this would be enough for an 8" Dob.

Eric.

I also use the Mey chair pictured above. It is excellent and I think it represents good value for money when you consider what we spend on this hobby. There is nothing worse than having ££££ tied up in scopes and eyepieces that you can't use because you have a sore back from contorting your spine into ridiculous positions. I don't think I could have kept going with astronomy if I hadn't bought that chair or something very like it. Some of the cheaper options are no doubt good too but this particular chair can cope with a fair amount of weight, which I need it to do :wink:

The first image, above, points out one important feature: Wrapp-around, or at least splayed-out legs. One's with straight-legs can sink into the ground in loose soil. So I suggest keeping this in mind while hunting about for one.

Dave

Good point, Dave. Another good feature of that chair is that the seat swivels from side to side which means you can move your position through about 90° without moving the stool.

Archived