Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Windy conditions for observatory

Dwarf Nova

Since I got the concrete base down for my 2.2m pulsar dome I have experienced some very strong winds (averaging 50mph and gusting 70mph) - and I believe it gets stronger.

This has caused me to pause  for thought (panic) before I assemble the dome.

I would appreciate any advice on offer about how to ensure that the cupola is not ripped when the wind gets up.

So far I have obtained a set of four M12 anchor-bolts and am fiddling with ways to shackle the  cupola to the concrete base; and I would love

to hear from anyone who has a feeling for how to get a strong connection to the fibreglass.

Do the makers advice on the best fixing points, or do you just have a  broad flange and a choice of where to drill for hold-down bolts?

I would make sure you use large washers, or even better long spreader plates between the bolt heads and the fibreglass flange, to ensure that the holding down bolts spread their load over a good section of flange. The anchors should be flush or even slightly below the top of the concrete.

Try to place them near reinforcing seams where any flexing will be minimised. I would be tempted to consider extra bolts.

Use a waterproof silicon in a thick bead between the concrete and the base of the dome, but consider having a drain at some point because water will get in!

For what it is worth, I have the very same Observatory and although I am not on Orkney, we have had some lashing storms here in West Sussex and the dome roof has been solid as a rock. I have two lock-down bars inside the dome (standard supply but you could always fabricate a couple more or order an extra pair from Pulsar - I'm sure they'd supply them if asked). In the strongest of storms, I did note that the aperture cover itself did rattle under very strong gusts but that's all and I have never had any water ingress.

For my money, I'd dispense with location points and simply buy two caravan awning straps (for my sins, I am also a rough weather caravanner) and attach them crossing over either side of the aperture to spread the load.

Yes, I think that, since you won't be imaging or observing in a hurricane, a hurricane-proof*  'exceptional circumstances' system is probably the answer and something like hefty straps or webbing over the outside removes the worry of localized stress on the attachments. 

Olly

*I do realize that nothing but a deep cave is ever likely to be truly hurricane-proof!

I can vouch for the Awning straps described by Steve.  Together with the angle iron pegs and damping springs they offer great wind protection.  We have to use them on our Autumn trips with the tin snail to the Northumberland cliff site we use.

My neighbour recorded gusts of 70mph last night. And yet another 'farm subsidy sized'  wind turbine burned out (second time in twelve months for this one....) last night. They seriously need to think about sighting these things in less exposed sites!

Archived