Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

funkysandman

using stellarium to find nebulae- elephant's trunk

Hi, a question about Stellarium... very helpful for finding things but I noticed that not all nebulae are in there.  For example the Elephant's trunk nebula..I've had no luck seeing or imaging it...I've managed to see the ring nebula which is fainter?  I'm using a celestar 8 deluxe, canon 70d

Hi, a question about Stellarium... very helpful for finding things but I noticed that not all nebulae are in there.  For example the Elephant's trunk nebula..I've had no luck seeing or imaging it...I've managed to see the ring nebula which is fainter?  I'm using a celestar 8 deluxe, canon 70d

sorry, I should mention that I mean the texture image for the nebula is missing

I don't quite understand the question.

Are you trying to find the nebula using your telescope,  trying to navigate your way around the software or using Stellarium to control your scope?

Matt.

You should be able to see the star pattern, if you put your scope and camera details into Stellarium it will show you the star field / field of view for your camera.

Dave

You can send them a request to include it for the next upgrade :)

Dave

I think the image is in the wrong place?

post-38669-0-41620400-1448560400_thumb.p

edit: or the label? The image seems to be in the right place, as you can check when you turn on/off the stars. Isn't that the elephant's trunk?

Edited by Ruud

Stellariums Image data base does not contain images for every nebula, only those for which suitable photographs have been made available to the Author are currently included.

If you type IC1396 into the search and then zoom in it will show tha core stars of the Elephants Trunk Nebula region.

Good luck and clear skies.

Sandy. :grin:

thanks

I pointed my camera in that direction, but didn't find anything...I will skip this nebula for now until my skills get better