Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Hytham

M78, Barnard's Loop and LDN 1622

Hi Everyone,

This is a pairing, er triplet, that I've wanted to image for a very, very long time now and I have finally had the opportunity to do so. Once again Al Nitak just cannot let go of the lime light and has created a spotlight onto M78. Though the distance is quite large between the two objects, there is a very good chance that the FSQ's 88mm image circle has Al Nitak sitting within it's diameter shining its brilliance into my image. I kinda like it, to be honest and adds a different feeling to it. That's just me.

I'm still battling the tilt that I have in my optical train which will be fixed so very soon (can't wait...)

Comments and criticisms are very much welcome.

Thanks for looking!

Scope: Tak FSQ 106 EDXIII
Mount: Astro-Physics 1100
Camera: FLI ML16803
Filter(s): Astrodon LRGB
FL: F5 @530mm
Software: SGP Pro (Acquisition), PixInsight 1.8 (calibration), PS CS6 (the finisher)
Integration Time: ~12.3h
Lum:  19 x 1200s (~6.3h)
RGB: 8 x 900s each (6h total)

FULL RESOLUTION:  http://www.straightontillmorning.me/Astronomy/Nebulae/i-DSX7QR7/1/O/m78.jpg

Medium sized preview:

m78-M.jpg

• Like 10

It's enormous at full resolution, and so good!

Great work.

Beautifully composed shot Hytham.  Lovely colouring.  Excellent.

The tilt is barely noticeable but I understand how you're striving for the best you can possibly achieve - it's a big sensor you have.