Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

Ajhayter

Oh boy, what have I gotten myself into...

So it starts with Binoculars. Just an old pair of Dad's from out in the loft. You see a few details on the moon and then it all begins.

Magazine subscriptions, swapped in brown bags behind the bike sheds. Turning the office lights off and gazing out the window at work on the late night shift. You start to read and you're drowning but you just want more, there's so much to discover!

You give some money to your dealer local astro club and go to an open day and holy cow have they got some cool stuff! You see things you never imagined, talk about the wonders of the sky and dream about what might be!     

I wanted more, I needed another fix and then I saw them. The people on the corner in their strange, star-covered boots. Making an offer I can't refuse.     

What have I gotten myself into....

bpni9GK.jpg

Ok, story time over now I saw this on the Boot for £390 and I couldn't let it pass. I was going to get the classic 8" as the starter, but hey, the more the better right? I'm really looking forward to getting it set up and learning proper collimation, just have to wait for it to get here now! I've found astrobaby's collimation guide and it all seems to make sense. 

Since I spent a little more on the scope than originally planned, I'm going to have to save and worry about eyepeices further down the line. That said, it's probably a good idea to learn to use what comes with it first. I see many long nights ahead either way :)

• Like 10

Welcome to SGL. Looks you have got yourself into one of the nicest astronomy forums on the web, at least. You have also got yourself a great scope to kick off your exploration of space as well

............I was going to get the classic 8" as the starter, but hey, the more the better right? ........

So they say! Enjoy you new scope.

Enjoy the habit  hobby. It's is indeed a slippery slope. :smiley:

Nice scope by the way. 

Don't worry. We're all Astro junkies! Hehe! Need my fix every night (depending on weather of course!) ;)

Welcome!

What a great introduction, welcome. lets see you sneak that into the office on the late shift   :smiley:  :smiley:

Unlike Drugs,The Astronomy Habit won't damage your health.

Apart from the crick in the neck,the lower back pain,the aching shoulder resulting from when you carried too much stuff,too far....

And as for the mental health aspects........

I'm totally normal.

WIBBLE! :tongue:  :tongue:  :tongue:  

• Like 3

Hi there and welcome to SGL the money pit has just began good luck with your purchase that,s a great scope.

Hi and welcome to the greatest astro forum on the web.

You've chosen a great scope to explore the night sky, two pieces of free software which you might find useful:-

i) Stelarium a planetarium program that when configured for your location will help you find your way around:- http://www.stellarium.org/

ii) Virtual Moon Atlas which does what the name says:- http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualmoon/

Any problems you know where to come.

Good luck and enjoy.

What a lovely description - we've all been there and that's exactly how it starts. Constant Curtain twitching to check sky conditions will become quite normal. I must warn you, if you start feeling urges to photograph what you are seeing through your scope, prepare for some serious turbulance in your astro-journey!!

Welcome and enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

Welcome to SGL - and to the worlds of amateur astronomy! That is a very nice scope you have there and should give you many years of good service! (along with your other scopes!!!)

So it starts with Binoculars. Just an old pair of Dad's from out in the loft. You see a few details on the moon and then it all begins.

Magazine subscriptions, swapped in brown bags behind the bike sheds. Turning the office lights off and gazing out the window at work on the late night shift. You start to read and you're drowning but you just want more, there's so much to discover!

You give some money to your dealer local astro club and go to an open day and holy cow have they got some cool stuff! You see things you never imagined, talk about the wonders of the sky and dream about what might be!     

I wanted more, I needed another fix and then I saw them. The people on the corner in their strange, star-covered boots. Making an offer I can't refuse.     

What have I gotten myself into....

bpni9GK.jpg

Ok, story time over now I saw this on the Boot for £390 and I couldn't let it pass. I was going to get the classic 8" as the starter, but hey, the more the better right? I'm really looking forward to getting it set up and learning proper collimation, just have to wait for it to get here now! I've found astrobaby's collimation guide and it all seems to make sense. 

Since I spent a little more on the scope than originally planned, I'm going to have to save and worry about eyepeices further down the line. That said, it's probably a good idea to learn to use what comes with it first. I see many long nights ahead either way :)

Welcome to the Mad Hatters Tea Party! :-)

• Like 1

nice and very capable scope to start your journey with, you going to love it. and welcome to sgl

Don't rush into collimation. Do a star test first. Even if it's a little off, it should still be good enough for visual use.

Hi Ajhayter and welcome to SGL, now that certainly is a big step up from a pair of binoculars, once you are able to handle the scope, your views of the heavens from deep space to general observations within the local group, should be most rewarding, especially if you have access to dark skies, enjoy the forum :)

Hi and welcome to SGL I know the feeling just started a few months ago started with a small astromaster 70AZ and a few weeks later got some big Binos, eyepieces, a bigger scope and now I am looking into an even bigger 10" Dob.

The other half is not happy!  :grin:

Oh boy.... now you've done it!   You are hooked!  Enjoy your new obsession.  This forum is a friendly place to ask questions.  Welcome

Fresh meat for the grinder......lovely.....or "Meats back on the menu tonight"