Astro0photography 101

Hi all,

I've lived in large cities for most of the last 20 years, more recently London and had an interest in Astrophotography for about 15 years, but was not able to follow this due to the light pollution, and lack of private transport (who needs a car in London), or funds.

However things have changed, and I recently moved into a more rural area where there is less Light pollution and I have my own transport.

I'm looking for advice in the following areas

1) Entry level telescope that will allow a good range of astrophotography (nebulas, planets etc), 

2) Mount and Motor system

3) Camera mounting equipment

I also need the telescope to be able to cater for my needs in 12-18 months, rather than finding I've out grown it and need to step up to the next level in 6 months time.

My budget is estimated at between £500 and £750 for the Telescope, Mount and motors, as well as the attachments for the camera.

The camera I have is a Canon D7 (MK1), which is 4-5 years old now but quite adequate for my current needs.

I look forward to any advice.

Before you spend a penny, I see that you have said that you want to photograph nebulas AND planets. Firstly, there's sadly no one scope that does both of those..... so you will be looking at a compromise if you want to image these two extremes. I say extremes as nebula's are often father large and planets are always very small.......

I can not help with planet stuff, but regarding imaging nebula's I've learnt a thing or two over the last few years..... number 1...... Go to the FLO website, the book section and buy a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count'. Read it once...... twice ...... thrice and then think about what you need and why. If you don't know the answer to that then read the book again ........... Do not spend a penny until this is done!!

The book is something of an imagers bible and for many it's been the start of their astro imaging and for good reason. 

I'm not trying to make light of your situation, but this book will save you money with regards to costly mistakes and will help you to understand what you need and why..... that is invaluable :)

Before you spend a penny, I see that you have said that you want to photograph nebulas AND planets. Firstly, there's sadly no one scope that does both of those..... so you will be looking at a compromise if you want to image these two extremes. I say extremes as nebula's are often father large and planets are always very small.......

I can not help with planet stuff, but regarding imaging nebula's I've learnt a thing or two over the last few years..... number 1...... Go to the FLO website, the book section and buy a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count'. Read it once...... twice ...... thrice and then think about what you need and why. If you don't know the answer to that then read the book again ........... Do not spend a penny until this is done!!

The book is something of an imagers bible and for many it's been the start of their astro imaging and for good reason. 

I'm not trying to make light of your situation, but this book will save you money with regards to costly mistakes and will help you to understand what you need and why..... that is invaluable :)

Thank you for the advice, :smiley:  

I have read a number of books on the subject and im 99% sure the title you mention isnt one, so will add it to the list or resources.

Sara's right and, to be honest, the budget is very tight indeed. I'd go for second hand, starting with an HEQ5 mount. (People upgrade to the NEQ6 but the only difference is payload. Accuracy is the same.) You probably won't be guiding  straight off on that budget so you need a fast F ratio (to reduce exposure time) and a short focal length (to have more tolerance of tracking error.)

Second hand prime camera lens, old school, with adapters to fit it to your modern camera?

Olly

Second hand HEQ5 is what's needed, one on Astrobuy & sell UK

Dave

Do you have any advice the basics that need to be checked to ensure that the equipment isnt damaged or defective?  As much as I'd like to believe the equipment has been well maintained, I'm always skeptical.  

Sara's right and, to be honest, the budget is very tight indeed. I'd go for second hand, starting with an HEQ5 mount. (People upgrade to the NEQ6 but the only difference is payload. Accuracy is the same.) You probably won't be guiding  straight off on that budget so you need a fast F ratio (to reduce exposure time) and a short focal length (to have more tolerance of tracking error.)

Second hand prime camera lens, old school, with adapters to fit it to your modern camera?

Olly

I have a range of good Primes with the shortest being 30mm (f2.8 from memory) and 50mm (f1.4).

I have a range of good Primes with the shortest being 30mm (f2.8 from memory) and 50mm (f1.4).

Should be good, the 50mm is a classic for AP when stopped down to around f4, while f2.8 may be useable with a bit of cropping. I put together a quick guide to budget and vintage lenses for imaging if you are interested.

Do you have any advice the basics that need to be checked to ensure that the equipment isnt damaged or defective?  As much as I'd like to believe the equipment has been well maintained, I'm always skeptical.  

I try not buy any expensive S/H stuff without going to see it personally, a mount can be demonstrated in the daytime and always best to take it apart when you get it home for a bit of fettling :)

Dave

Second hand is a risk. T'was ever thus. At the worst you might have to fix it. However, taking a lifetime-long view you can have about twice as much perfectly good stuff second hand as you can have new. In the observatories I run here we have, second hand, a Mesu 200 mount, two Takahashi FSQ106 astrographs, a TEC 140 apo, a 20 inch Dob, a TeleVue Pronto, several Tele Vue eyepieces, a pair of Leica binoculars, a couple of mounts, etc etc. They are all fine. The saving over new, done 'back of an envolpe' style, would buy you a reasonable second hand Porsche Boxter. Seriously.

Olly

And if as I suspect you have longer primes, 200mm or 300mm these will also prove quite capable (or good zooms).  As an example here from Gorann  200mm F4 canon canera, the mount used NEQ6 as mentioned above is what allows for longer exposures,  the mount will eat your budget.

You will need a intervalometer or laptop to programme the camera or software like say APT or the eos utilities,  then you will be looking at processing software.

Having Canon is a good place to start :smiley:,  you may be able to start with a tripod, wide lens, short exposures - learn to stack and process.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you for all the advice, I can understand the second hand being cheaper, and may well do that, what are the common faults with second hand scopes? 

@mick j, you are very correct, though my primes stop at the 200mm L f2.8, I double checked the 50 and 30mm, they're f1.8 and F1.4 respectively. 

@Knight, thank you for the link I'll have a good read of that. 

Thank you for all the advice, I can understand the second hand being cheaper, and may well do that, what are the common faults with second hand scopes? 

I think for you need to know exactly what you are looking for, like most things.  That said our scope are second hand and were all from enthusiasts who had loved them and were upgrading.   ABS is a good place to keep an eye on as are the classifieds on this forum, you will need 50 posts to see these tho.

Most problems in second hand seem to be associated with want adverts, reply's can be from anywhere, see here

Perhaps a local astro club would be worth a visit ?

@mick j, you are very correct, though my primes stop at the 200mm L f2.8...

That's a very good lens for AP. It's useable wide open (with the help of the thirds focussing trick) but perhaps is best stopped down a little, I'm still experimenting with mine. There are a fair number of large targets that show up well at this focal length.

Archived