Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lost with the EQ5 pro goto

Ok so, I point the polar scope at Polaris but if I try to point the scope at Polaris then the polar scope has moved off Polaris. I therefore cannot get the scope and polar scope to look at Polaris together? This confuses me :-(

Also do I need to leave any of the R.A or DEC clutches open to operate the scope?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Completely stumped here :-(

Don't worry about the polar scope and main scope not both pointing at Polaris. The polar scope is there to align the mount to the NCP, not your main scope (pointing a main scope at Polaris is blooming difficult anyway).

Once you have the mount aligned then you go through the GoTo alignment process and you keep the clutches locked from then onwards.

Hope that helps.

Happy viewing.

No, the mount is pointed at (roughly) Polaris the scope does not matter.

The mount is actually pointed a degree or so away from Polaris, so if mount and scope are perfectly matched Polaris will likely not be in view.

Set the mount up not the scope.

Attach the scope then do the goto alignment, that is when you point the scope at things.

If you think about it then if the scope had to match the mount then you could only ever see Polaris if the field were wide enough and nothing else.

The common term "alignment" is used for mount polar alignment and then the goto alignment but they are different alignments.

The amusing way to look at is it:

The polar alignment of the mount you set up as accurately as you can, then the goto alignment measures how bad you actually did it. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

So only once the GOTO has done it's alignment do I lock the clutches?

No. The clutches need to be tightened before any star alignment. If the clutches are not engaged, the motors cannot drive the mount. Also, the clutches should be left engaged when using the EQ5 goto mount. If the clutches are released and the manual moved manually, without the handset, you will lose star alignment.

Thanks Cornelius. Bit of a step up from the alt/az mount I have been using, very confusing :-(

Once you've done it a couple of times it will be second nature. The sequence should be;

1. Set up and level the tripod (in theory the tripod shouldn't need to be level but I think it's a good habit).

2. Attach the mount - don't tighten it too tight or the azimuth adjustment bolts.

3. Using the RA axis of the mount, set the polar scope to the correct position for the date and time and power up the mount (not sure on the eq5 if this illuminates the polar scope or not.

4. Polar align and once finished make sure the main, azimuth and altitude bolts and both clutches are all tight.

5. Add the counterweight bar and counter weight(s).

6. Add the scope.

7. Balance the scope in RA.

8. Balance the scope in Dec.

9. Run the computerised alignment process through the handset.

Apart from the polar alignment part, on a GoTo, the clutches should be closed. The only other time to loosen them is if you're using setting circles to find objects but as you're using a GoTo, then don't touch them.

• 2 months later...

Thanks everybody for your help and advice. I have followed what has been explained here and I am happy to say that tonight, so far, the mount has performed excellently! Waiting for Jupiter to clear the houses out back so I can do some imaging ?

Thank you all again and clear skies ?

Archived