Hello from a noob in Southampton

CurryKitten

Hello,

First post here - and I was going to go straight for the buying advice forum, but it seemed rude to do so without an introduction.  I'm very new to look upwards, I've got to the age of 44 without thinking much about it, but in recent months for whatever reason I've been really interested in understanding what makes the universe tick.

My wife and daughter got me a little Celestron Travel 70 scope for fathers day, and I wa amazed how much detail I could see in this little scope that cost £34, so so many stars I couldn't see with the naked eye, and point the scope at the moon and I'm seeing detail I just didn't know was there.  I recently put a 2x barlow lens on there and I'm seeing even more detail of craters and mountains - I love it.  

However, I find myself becoming frustrated with my little setup, not because of issues with the scope, but the mount and attempting photography.  The tripod supplied is very cheap and flimsy thing which doesn't allow for any fine movements, and trying to lock it results in it sagging a bit under the weight of the scope, so I can frame things up lovely and then it just drops away !

Astrophotography wise, I bought a DSLR adapter to try and do eyepiece projection, but I can't get focus.  I can focus when using it as a prime focus lens, but I can't get a nice zoomed in detail.

So I'm here to seek advice in how to resolve things.... off to the help forum now :)

Hi and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us! If you are wanting to contemplate and understand astro imaging (especially DSOs such as nebulas and galaxies) thenyou would do well to get hold of a copy of the book 'Making Every Photon Count' available from the FLO website, book section. It;s something of an imagers bible and will really help you understand what you need, why and how it all works together.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi CurryKitten and welcome to SGL, I would suggest you ask you questions on Astrophotography in the relevant imaging sections, rather than here in the Welcome section. There is a much bigger following to this side of Astronomy and I am sure you will offered some advice to get you started, enjoy the forum :)

Welcome Currykitten. I hope you enjoy your stay here. I'm sure many of us started with a modest scope and progressed gradually as interest and finances allowed. It doesn't matter how you start, once you're hooked you're hooked.

Best wishes and clear skies

Jason

Archived