Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi All,

Before setting up on to a new target, I managed to spend a couple of nights on exposing the Orions Sword through a HAlpha and OIII 7.5nm filters to add to the pure RGB image I posted earlier.

I got 10 x 900s for each Halpha and OIII across two nights.

I mixed 30% of Halpha from Red into the Red RGB channel, green and blue from OIII channels into green and blue channels in the RGB corresponding channel.

So here I'm sharing the final result... I've moved on to imaging Barnard 33 so I think this will be my final version of the Orion nebula for a while.

Another thing is that the contrast and color levels look very different on my PC screen when comparing to the iPad display so I've posted both versions, the darker version is optimized for my iPad screen where the less contrasty version looks better on my PC LCD. For my future postings here is a small survey... which one looks better on your screen/display?

Thanks for looking,

MG

post-43662-0-02136900-1448168687_thumb.j

post-43662-0-96445200-1448168960_thumb.j

• Like 5

great images MG, thay both look outstanding on my tv" LG 4K", amazing colour and detail mate.well done. thanks for sharing charl.

• Like 1

Beautiful, on my Android phone the first looks better but I guess its a pretty subjective opinion based in individuals preferences .

Both great images !

• Like 1

Great images MG.

#1 is possibly more pleasing to the eye due to the increased contrast and apparent sharpness making it appear more dramatic.

#2 the colours are more muted and the detail less refined and with less contrast. This, to me, makes it look more realistic.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments, seems like it is down to monitor calibration and machine used for viewing as well as personal preference. 

I also suspect that windows computers seem to show images with a higher contrast compared to a Mac, That's why images adjusted on a PC seem to have brighter blacks.

I can remember make a comment on the first one with out HA data,  Some images HA works well  and  some start to look a bit dirty looking. I personally think caution when adding HA data .

I will never criticise anyone's work  everything I say is personal preference.

• Like 1

That's true, when adding the full HA data to red, it did not look right, so I only added 30%. I also tried 50% but 30% seemed to be the right balance, color wise as well as aesthetically.

With criticism, I think being critical can result in improvements to imaged, as with a lot of things in life, especially when imaging and balancing using narrowband data, everyone has a taste and a preference to how images look, what colors they like etc... that said, there is always room for improvement, LOTS of room for improvement so I welcome any information that may ultimately help be improve my images...

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.