SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Using camera tripod with Skywatcher 1145p tube (dovetail without 1/4" holes")

I have a sturdy camera tripod with a decent quality head, which I'm sure could take the weight of the relatively light Skywatcher 1145p tube I've just got hold of.

However, the dovetail bar on the tube doesn't have any holes in it. I don't really want to remove the bar and buy one new as, apart from the cost, it would involve removing the secondary mirror, etc, and looks like it would be pretty tricky.  So basically I'm looking for some kind of adapter or some other way to be able to attach the tripod head's standard 1/4" plate. I've had a quick Google on this but am not exactly sure what I'm looking for so thought I'd ask you nice people here :).

Thanks  a lot for any help.

Camera threads of the 1/4 variety are 1/4" Whitworth 20 TPI ( threads per inch ) you would need a 5.1mm tapping drill, 1/4" second cut Whitworth tap and a wrench to hold the tap. As you seem not to have done this before, the parts alone could be expensive, even if you source them second hand and there is also some skill in drilling and tapping. Perhaps you may have a friend that could do this for you.

Another alternative would be to visit your local camera shop to see if they have any adaptor plates that are threaded as standard for cameras, it could be a much easier job to drill and bolt such a plate to the dovetail bar of the scope, HTH :)

As per John above. Drill your dovetail and then use a longer than standard 1/4" bolt to attach a Q/R plate to the underside of the dovetail, allowing enough length for the placement of a nut and washer between dovetail and telescope tube.

The dovetail metal is very soft, so you can 'tap' the hole after drilling with a hard steel bolt by carefully screwing/unscrewing until complete. Practice on a lump of wood first.

One problem you will certainly have is that you have no way of balancing the rig on a standard camera tripod, which could lead to a catastrophic collapse and the whole lot hitting the deck. Astronomy tripods/mounts are equipped with counter weights and balancing is a very important aspect.

You also will not have any slo mo' controls to aid you in staying on target, or even getting on target which will lead to much frustration.

And just keeping your hand on the telescope, which you will have to do, will have the stars shaking all over the place.

I'm all for DIY and trying stuff out, but a camera tripod even a half decent one (mine is rated to 18+kg) is just not the best way to go for Astronomy uses.

Pity you are not local, I have an EQ1 sitting unloved in a box.

Rich...

Thanks Glowjet, Rich and Billy. Sorry for not replying earlier, I haven't been on the forum in the last week.

After Googling a bit further the day after my initial post, I found out the drill and tap sizes I'd need (same as Glowjet mentioned) and used an electric drill to make a couple of holes in the bar. This suprisingly went okay (DIY is not my usually my strong point). However, I only had the right drill bit and not the tap, so I ordered one on Amazon (£3) the following day. Annoyingly, it still hasn't turned up so I haven't finished the job yet. After watching a couple of vids on Youtube though, it doesn't look too difficult, so hopefully it will go okay.

Billy, thanks a lot for your kind offer, I might still take you up on it if I make a mess of the tapping!

Thanks also, Rich. TBH I really dislike EQ mounts. I've used a 90mm/500 refractor (about 2.5kg) with the sturdy camera tripod and head that I have and really found it to be fine for my needs (I'm just a casual observer and occasionally do a bit of afocal photography). The 114 Newtonian tube is lighter than the refractor so I think it will be okay.

I'll post an update when I finally tap these holes :D.

Cheers.

If you decide to drill and tap your dovetail. 

Tap would be.......  1/4"  20 threads per inch.

Tap Drill would be....... Number  7

When tapping threads, use lacquer thinner as a cutting fluid; it will cut perfect threads in aluminium.

Archived