First telecope

Hello. I recently joined SGL looking to get in to the hobby, I bought a pair of 10x50 binoculars which I was recommended by people here, and I just love them. Unfortunately I only had two days of clear skies before the clouds came back with a vengeance and it has been raining & snowing since. So all the time I would have spent outside gazing in to the cosmos was instead spent researching telescopes. 

My heart is set on a Dobsonian telescope. But I can't really make my mind up between the 8" and the 10" telescope. I'm a young man so the weight of the 10" Dob wouldn't be an issue for me, I could easily carry it in two parts and I'd most likely store it in a shed/garage so I wouldn't need to carry it very far. The major thing for me is the price, ~430€ vs ~650€. But I don't really want to sit here with my 8" in a year and wonder how much better objects would look in a 10", is there any major difference in viewing faint, fuzzy DSO or is the difference between 8 and 10 mostly for planets & the moon?

I've also been looking at 10" Flextube Dobsonians, as they seem much more compact. Space isn't an issue now but I'll be moving in a bit under two years, so vertical space could become an issue. It also just seems easier to carry, even if it's heavier just because it's a lot more compact. I can buy a 10" Sky-Watcher Flextube Dobsonian from a local retailer for about 100€ more than a standard 10" Dobsonian. I don't want to have to sell my Dobsonian in two years because I have no space for it.

I've been looking at different brands, but what are the real differences between Orion / Sky-Watcher / GSO etc. is it just accessories or is the optical quality different?

Telescopes I've been looking at:

10" GSO Dobsonian (250/1250, f5)

http://www.astroshop.eu/gso-n-250-1250-deluxe-dobsonian-telescope/p,23750

10" Orion SkyQuest XT10 (254/1200, f4.7)

http://www.astroshop.eu/orion-dobson-telescope-n-254-1200-skyquest-xt10-classic-dob/p,13771acc

10" Sky-Watcher Skyliner Flextube Dobsonian (254/1200, f4.7)

http://www.astroshop.eu/skywatcher-dobson-telescope-n-254-1200-skyliner-flextube-bd-dob/p,14975

http://astrosweden.web02.e37.se/sv/articles/2.24.543/sky-watcher-skyliner-250px-flextube-10tum

8" GSO Dobsonian (200/1200, f6)

http://www.astroshop.eu/gso-dobson-telescope-n-200-1200-dob-deluxe-version/p,14189

8" Orion SkyQuest X8 (203/1200, f5.9)

http://www.astroshop.eu/orion-n-203-1200-skyquest-xt8-classic-dobsonian-set/p,23800

These are all the scopes I've been looking at recently. I live in Europe, Sweden to be more accurate(So unfortunately Amazon is out of the question.) My budget is pretty flexible, but I wouldn't want to spend more than 700-750€ in total.

Tl;dr Looking to buy a telescope, 8" vs 10", 700-750€ budget, what scope should I buy?

On paper the 10" is better, more aperture,  but  the 8" is  easier on eyepiece selection due to the f/6 focal ratio. As the ratio lowers, coma  may be more apparent  to some folk and may need better correction or premium  quality (  expensive?) eyepieces  to get the best from the  faster f/4 - f/5 scopes.

I would like a 12" classic Skyliner next,  in order to get  more detail,  rather than the 10"  but using simulators, listening to  the good folk here, and lastly based on my own present assumptions, I will stick with my 8" Skyliner for quite a while longer.

If a 12 Skyliner was available for a side-by-side comparison, then, and only then, could I make a decision based on the visual result.

Your gut feeling will decide on your needs, withthe help of a few opinions from the good folk here at SGL.  Yet no matter what we buy,  we often wonder, what if? 

Get the best you can afford, you wont regret either an 8" or 10" or better still, a 12" if one became available second hand. 

And welcome to the SGL, Eye.

Is there somewhere that you can go to look at these scopes in the flesh rather than buying online? I found that looking at two brands/designs side by side polarized that issue although definitely knowing whether an 8" or 10" suits you best requires actual use.

.....in all probability, the best option is to visit a local astronomy club ( you don't have to join?).  Visiting a store/ shop during the day is fruitless as the scope is designed for night use,  and   you could not really determine which is the better scope for your needs, although size and weight can easily be assessed by the visual aspect.

Many folk buy on-line these days, its just the way it is,  buying from a reputable on line retailer is the best  advice. They will understand your needs and will be experienced. I have tested some high street stores and its almost funny?

I think trying to find somewhere that you can look at these scopes for real is a great idea. The Orion (USA) and Skywatcher scopes are made by the same company and have the same optics in them. The GSO made dobsonians include the Revelation range (in the UK), Telescope Services (Germany) and the Meade Lightbridges. Performance-wise they will be very similar so it's the details that might sway your decision such as the Flextube option which sounds like it might come in handy for you in future.

Each time we have the 8" vs 10" discussion on here I don't think we tend to reach any firm conclusions. All these scopes will serve very well and are not only great scopes to start the hobby with but may well keep many occupied for a lifetimes observing.

Obviously a bit more aperture does help with deep sky objects because you need all the light you can get with those. On the moon and planets I think the differences are much less pronouced and the smaller secondary obstruction of the 8" F/6 and it's slightly less critical collimation needs might even things up.

If you can get to see some of these scopes that would be great, seeing though them, even better :smiley:

Thanks for all the advice. The issue is that there aren't any astronomy stores anywhere near me. Closest is a few hours away by car or train, and I can't really justify travelling that far to just check some telescopes out. There are also no astronomy clubs for me to join, I think there might be one in Stockholm but they cater to children. 

I'm looking to buy the telescope online, not many Swedish astronomy stores unfortunately so I'll probably have to buy from Germany or some other EU country.

Ok. Given that, feel free to ask as many questions as possible to help you make your decision. There are lots of owners of the scopes you have short listed on this forum and I'm sure they will happily give feedback on them :smiley:

The good news is that they are all good scopes. It's just deciding which features tip your decision in favour of one of them !

One item I'd advise you to add to your shopping-list with any of the Dobs you've listed: A 90° RACI (Right-Angle Correct Image) finder-scope. Trying to use a straight-through finder on a Dob will require advanced Yoga techniques. This is an example:

http://www.telescope.com/Accessories/Telescope-Finder-Scopes/Black-9x50-Right-Angle-Correct-Image-Finder/pc/-1/c/3/sc/49/p/7212.uts

I just got a GSO RACI here in the US. It was considerable less money than the others I found, and certainly their equal. I'm a fan of GSO optics, by the by.

Enjoy your impending Dob!

Dave

My email (Telescope House) advises me that the Revelation 8" is down to £275 GBP and I think the free delivery option is applicable too. This offer is only available this weekend, UK mainland only.

Yes, that's what I just paid for mine. Lovely scope too - hope to write up unboxing and first light review this weekend.

Thanks for all the advice. The issue is that there aren't any astronomy stores anywhere near me. Closest is a few hours away by car or train, and I can't really justify travelling that far to just check some telescopes out. There are also no astronomy clubs for me to join, I think there might be one in Stockholm but they cater to children. 

I'm looking to buy the telescope online, not many Swedish astronomy stores unfortunately so I'll probably have to buy from Germany or some other EU country.

You'll have no-one to blame except yourself, if it goes wrong?

I too have a similar predicament to yourself, it takes hours to get to places, apart from my immediate location, the next major town is a hour away one-way. My first trip to view a Celestron was a two hour trip one-way,  it was exciting, and I did buy the scope. The books I received in the deal were worth more than the scope itself, but for the price it was worth it!

I also discovered on the  first night that this telescope was not right for me, in-fact, it was totally wrong for my needs, and there was no refund option either, plus no  guarantee ?

I then ordered an 8" on-line, and was shocked at the size of the two boxes this scope arrived in, they need to be, to protect the scope with the foam inlays. The scope is big, but totally manageable , and I can lift the unit in one piece and carry to anywhere in my garden. 

I'm sure  if you took a trip and viewed some scopes, it would be beneficial too you. If not, just go on the advice given here, but remember what's suitable for me and my eyes, may differ for you and me, and others alike.

The only thing I would add to the 8" v 10" debate isn't about weight, it's about bulk. I sold my 10" Newt because it was just too bulky to lug around.  If you are thinking of a 10", then the flextube would be the one to look at - the compact size makes it easier to handle than a solid tube.

90° RACI (Right-Angle Correct Image) finder-scope. Trying to use a straight-through finder on a Dob will require advanced Yoga techniques. 

Dave

I have never tried a  RACI, but anyone who has bought one likes them, but remember, the reflector telescope image does not match the RACI in respect to orientation?

I also don't have an issue using a straight through finder scope, its my preferred method,  and don't have to endure too much neck breaking, especially from a seated position as the finder-scope is above eye level, so no contortions here, and using the BOTH EYES OPEN method,  locating any target is a  very  simple affair, but were all different!

What about a Telrad finderscope? I keep seeing people recommend them on this forum and various other ones. What's so special about it and what's different between it and a regular finderscope?

Archived