Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focuser Upgrade for New Scope

Hello,

I would like some advice.

I have resovled to buy a skywatcher 200p on an EQ5 mount for my next scope. Imagine my surprise when my wife asked me to consider getting a more expensive scope!

For what I want the scope to do, there is not really a suitable alternative within my (now extended) budget.

So instead I have considered upgrading the components.

I've comtemplated getting the HEQ5 mount, but I'm not looking to get into AP, and I don't want my setup to be too heavy to lift.

I have also considered rigging it with a GOTO, but again - I can get this at a later date - I'd rather develop my knowledge of the night sky.

So....

I have resolved to upgrade the focuser. I am keen to get a two speed focuser, as this is, I suppose the main moving part (other than the mount) on my scope.

As I have said, this will be for visual work.

My Questions are these:

1. For around £250. What is the consensus* on the best options available to me?
  2. What pitfalls do I need to be aware of when replacing my focuser?

*Author accepts that obtaining a consensus on SGL is less likely than Elvis returning to earth on the back of a flying pig....

Is the £250 for a focuser? I would think in my opinion you would be better upgrading your scope to a bigger aperture. You will be able to get a good second hand scope and mount for £250. I dont think you would be able to get a dual speed focuser for a 114 tube.

If your looking at AP a bit further down the line then a GoTo is a must, a HEQ5(with 200mm Reflector)  or NEQ6(with a 250mm Reflector)  would suit, a Moonlite Focuser it a good upgrade and the Motorized unit some thing to consider if the AP bug bites, a Telrad is cheap'ish and well worth buying....

if you are after a scope that's only ever going to be used for observing you really should re-think. The amount of time setting up saved is viewing time..ask anyone on here with a 8-10" dob...I don't want to shoot you down but there have been so many like you before and after thought...Drat!...Also an upgrade of the focuser wouldn't be the first thing to do...starcharts eyepieces homemade dew shield..etc..

If your not interested in astro photography then buy a simple Dobsonian mount, it will save ages in setting up and aligning everything every-night?

Telescope House are offering an 8" for 275 this weekend ( and free delivery?) so it says in my email?

If you want to upgrade, forget the focuser, get either a 10" or 12" or a few newer eyepieces. 

Don't waste your money or time faffing with an EQ system for visual use only. But if at a much later date, you want to track a targets  in relation to  astrophotography, then a powered  EQ will be essential.

Its possible I believe, to unlock the EQ system and use the system freely, but you would need confirmation of this. On the EQ/GEM I owned this was not possible!

If your not interested in astro photography then buy a simple Dobsonian mount, it will save ages in setting up and aligning everything every-night?

Telescope House are offering an 8" for 275 this weekend ( and free delivery?) so it says in my email?

If you want to upgrade, forget the focuser, get either a 10" or 12" or a few newer eyepieces. 

Don't waste your money or time faffing with an EQ system for visual use only. But if at a much later date, you want to track a targets  in relation to  astrophotography, then a powered  EQ will be essential.

Its possible I believe, to unlock the EQ system and use the system freely, but you would need confirmation of this. On the EQ/GEM I owned this was not possible!

swampthing spent years faffing with a mount...tried a dob...then spent the next 5yrs kicking himself!!

If you decide to go for your preference and upgrade the focuser I can highly recommend the MoonLite CR-2, which is within your budget.

Another option, which would be cheaper, would be to buy a 200PDS rather than a 200P. I have a Skywatcher Dual-speed focuser that came with my Dob which I think is the same as is fitted to the PDS models and it is actually very solid, particularly if you are not using huge eyepieces. The PDS range are designed for photography but can be used for visual too but you might need an extension tube at the eyepiece to reach focus.

I agree with others that an EQ mount is a bad idea for observing unless you are a contortionist. For your scope/mount set-up I think you would be better with an Alt-Az mount such as a SkyTee II or a TeleOptic Ercole. I have both and use them with my 200P (with upgraded Moonlite focuser :grin: ) and they are a joy to use.

Given the responses so far, I can't see Elvis or a flying pig turning up any time soon :lol:

Hi, Brave Sir Robin,

Maybe time for a little dissent, perhaps?

If, eventually, you plan to get into imaging, then you will need to sort out an EQ mount.

From experience, if you are "only" planning to view objects for now, then finely positioning the mount is not needed.

For visual use, I have an EQ mount set to the gight angle, then, using a compass to get approx. North, set the mount level inside the bubble.

This is probably now within a couple of degrees of the Pole Star and actually near enough. Yes, objects drift, but they only take a small correction now and again to recover.

You are really lucky that Mrs. Brave Sir Robin supports your endeavours and you should encourage her.

If it was me, then I would use the extra £250 to purchase some, or preferably all of the following:

Get the 8" OTA on the EQ5.

Upgrade to the P-DS. ) This has shorter Primary/Secondary so you need an extension. It also gives you a shoe-in if/when you venture into imaging)

Get a 90 degree diagonal to give flexibility at the EP (Becomes the extension and reduces the need for becoming a contortionist as you simply rotate it in the focuser to find a more comfortable position)

Get the motor controller set. FLO sells them for £110 and it will track the object for you. It also has a guide-port, so, again, another shoe-in...

When you find an interesting object, alert your wonderful wife out to see what you got and when she sees the smile on your face, hopefully, you will get to liberate more money from her savings....

This will be easier for her than the Dob, as it will have tracked the object while waiting her attendence.

Oh, and track down a good dark site to get the most out of the system

Just one opposing view from a non-Dob owner!!

Gordon.

Get a 90 degree diagonal to give flexibility at the EP (Becomes the extension and reduces the need for becoming a contortionist as you simply rotate it in the focuser to find a more comfortable position)

I have never even considered doing that, Gordon, but will definitely try it. I have an EQ5 with tracking so don't need to buy anything to give it a go.

My brain just about copes with counter-intuitive orientation of the image in a reflector so I dread to think what will happen with another twist through the diagonal but with tracking it shouldn't be a problem.

Good tip! :smile:

hi sir robbin, please dot take offense to anyone we are trying to help and actually save you money. focuser would be nice but not needed on such a small scope. you realy are better of getting a larger scope and at that a dobsonian mount due to you saying that your not interested in ap. with a dob you just put it down quick colimation and of you go. with a eq you have to get it some were near level polar align and then spend all night bending your neck so you can see something,i would definitely re consider :grin: just remember its all about fun, but biggest is best :tongue:

Hello all,

Thank you for all your advice. No offence taken. It's all grist for the mill!

Many thanks for all the Dob advice, I had considered satisfying my aperture fever, but I'd feel cruel keeping a light bucket under Hertfordshire skies.

I should have been a bit more specific in my original OP.

I'm not currently interested in AP, and I don't think I will ever have the budget to do it justice in a proper sense, but I don't want to rule out dabbling in the future, say webcam shots of planetary/lunar targets.

This is likely to be my last scope purchase for a decade (little one on the way) and so, I would like to future proof it to some extent.

I know that there is no such thing as a good general scope - it's all horses for courses, but I'm looking for something which I can use as a springboard for my hobby for the foreseeable future (at least until my child gets into astronomy!)

Eyepieces will be something I will collect over time, rather than spend my initial outlay on. Besides, there is always the second hand market for those, as well as an HEQ5, if I do get the AP bug.

So, with regards the OP, are there any other largish upgrades I could consider? (telrad/rigel QF will be on the Xmas list at some point).

you say you cant justifie using a scope under hereford skys which is only a stones through away from mid wales, also sgl starparties are held there which suggests the skys are pretty good to be honest. but no matter what, go with your heart. keep us up to date

swampthing spent years faffing with a mount...tried a dob...then spent the next 5yrs kicking himself!!

Amen to that truss brother.

you say you cant justifie using a scope under hereford skys which is only a stones through away from mid wales, also sgl starparties are held there which suggests the skys are pretty good to be honest. but no matter what, go with your heart. keep us up to date

Sir Robin said Hertfordshire ya muppet :rolleyes::lol:

No wonder it always takes you so long to get anywhere :grin:

Have you ever tried a Newt on an EQ mount? While some people feel they are OK, quite a few don't - and I'm one of the ones who doesn't. There is sometimes a need to rotate the tube in the rings to have the EP in a reasonable place. What a pest! Then you have a fairly long tube which will love to tangle with the tripod, then there's the meridian flip... And for what? For long exposure AP which you don't want to do! You could do webcam imaging with a tracking and GoTo Dob.

For imaging focusers matter so I use very expensive Takahashi and Feathertouch examples. But on our big Dob I just have a very basic single speed Crayford and find nothing wrong with it. It's always horizontal so it doesn't have to resist slippage.

Like Mr Spock I think the big game changer in a visual scope is the EP. Into that bog standard cheapo Crayford go some very nice TeleVues...

Olly

Archived