Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star and Moon atlases, book or tablet?

I know there have been threads recently about astronomy books, what with Christmas coming up, but being relatively new to the night sky I'm looking for something to guide me around the stars and the moon. I quite like being able to view on a tablet, as being self-illuminated it saves having to switch a red light on in order to view a page of a book between squints through the eyepiece, but I can imagine that there are two distinct camps favouring one or the other.

I already have Stellarium on my Android tablet, and whilst it provides a very good starting off point, it doesn't highlight double stars for example (or I'm not aware of a way), and I find I often have to switch back and forth to the Mobile Observatory app to get extra information. I like what I read about the Cambridge Star Atlas in the way it is set out, a star plate on one side and object list facing, and it has some moon maps, but there isn't a tablet version except Kindle, which I gather is pretty rubbish. Similarly, the Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas book is well received, though now unavailable, and the Kindle version falls into the same camp as the Cambridge atlas. As for the moon I have put the Virtual Moon Atlas onto my pc; it seems extremely complete, probably providing more information than I need, and works in a fashion I can live with. It doesn't have a 'night view' though, and doesn't work on Android. It's a pity that there isn't a Virtual Moon Atlas light for use on a tablet.

So, what are we left with for stars, objects and the moon? Would Sky Safari provide me what I'm looking for (it's a bit pricey just to try it out)? Anything else?

Ian

I find a good balance is to use the S&T pocket atlas or the Cambridge Guide to Double Stars with its atlas pages to pre-plan (indoors) and then Sky Safari Pro to find the target outside. On my Samsung 7" tablet the screen is quite readable in night mode (you may need an extra sheet of red plastic film though) and it does mark up doubles well. It is pricey though.

Chris

I find a good balance is to use the S&T pocket atlas or the Cambridge Guide to Double Stars with its atlas pages to pre-plan (indoors) and then Sky Safari Pro to find the target outside. On my Samsung 7" tablet the screen is quite readable in night mode (you may need an extra sheet of red plastic film though) and it does mark up doubles well. It is pricey though.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I have a 7" Samsung too. I guess one could turn the brightness of the screen down as well. Does the Samsung handle the Pro version OK?

Do you use it for driving your mount as well?

Ian

Part of the problem might be the  paucity (relative to the PC) of relevant software available in the Android platform.  Might one solution might be to buy a Windows tablet?  You can pick up a full Windows tablet for as less than £60

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linx-1-83GHz-Quad-Core-Processor-storage/dp/B00O636WJU/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1448024430&sr=1-2

This would allow you to run a huge range of astro software.

I have the Android and iPhone versions of Starover etc.

I have a number of 'real' atlases too and they are great from browsing. The Cambridge is good, as is Norton's. The latest Norton's has some good technical pages too and a reasoable Moon map.

I did not realise the S&T Pocket Atlas was out of print, I have one and it gets a lot of use.

I bought a copy of Uranometria 2000 off eBay for £28, huge and a real lap book, excllent maps but not a browsing book like Camibridge or Norton's.

Here is something I posted last year:

Nortons:

I have a copy of the 20th Edition, wish I could find earlier editions just for their historic value.

This is my favourite for browsing at home. 18 maps with stars down to Mag 6, so good for naked eye as well as small telescopes and binoculars. Great help in remembering the shapes and major stars of the constellations

Each chart has an index with objects of interest such as doubles, variables, nebulae etc etc.

A reasonable Lunar map and good sections on the planets.

What adds to the 20th edition is the technical sections on OTA's, viewing and some great secions on general astronomy. This is why I rate this book very highly and would recommend it to beginners as well as experienced folk.

Cambridge Star Atlas

20 charts with mags down to 6.5, good use of colour to highlight nebulae, clusters and galaxies. Each chart has a good table with details of the objects of interest. For the Messier chasers very good lists.

I like the seasonal maps because each one has been drawn to show 4 observing latitudes so for those of you not stuck at 52N … or South you can get a better idea of the visibility of those areas you can see, and for those of us stuck at 52N we can just sit and pine for those Southern exposures we cannot see.

Again a good book for naked eye, small OTA's and binoculars.

Philips Night Sky

Great again for small telescopes and binoculars. I would say this book is aimed at beginners but there is nothing wrong with that. 8 charts which show an entire section of sky N-S with magnitudes down to 5.5, so real naked eye stuff.

Good sections of telescopes, good maps of the Moon and an nice planetary section. There is also a detail section on the 50 most significant constellations.

A very nice book aimed at beginners and I would say young astronomers with good reading ability.

Sky Atlas 2000.0

26 chars down to mag 8.5 plus a further detailed maps down to 10.5. No tables. This book is aimed at the serious amateur and beyond. Great use of colour. My edition has a clear overlay I can use to measure angular distances.

My version is A3 format so large charts and not so easy to use at the 'scope.

S&T Pocket Sky Atlas

My first four charts were larger format, this one is around sub A4, between A4 and A5...sorry I am not a printer so I do not know the proper terms for paper sizes. Printed on heavy duty paper with a gloss andring bound, so ideal for use outdoor.

80 maps down to 7.5 mag, no tables but good indices. No technical section, but this tome is aimed at those who want something to use outdoors while observing.

This is my outdoors book of choice.

Part of the problem might be the  paucity (relative to the PC) of relevant software available in the Android platform.  Might one solution might be to buy a Windows tablet?  You can pick up a full Windows tablet for as less than £60

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linx-1-83GHz-Quad-Core-Processor-storage/dp/B00O636WJU/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1448024430&sr=1-2

This would allow you to run a huge range of astro software.

Thanks Michael, that's a possibility, though I have a Windows laptop that I could use, but isn't quite so convenient "out in the field" so to speak. I'd rather not buy yet more gizmoids if I can help it. :icon_eek:

Thanks for the information baggywrinkle. I say that the S&T atlas is out of print, but for whatever reason it doesn't appear to be readily available, at least not through the 'usual' print shifters. It appears not to cover the Moon, but it looks effective at what it does, and isn't too expensive (if it can be found!)

Ian

Edit. Managed to find one at The Book Depository.

Thanks Chris, I have a 7" Samsung too. I guess one could turn the brightness of the screen down as well. Does the Samsung handle the Pro version OK?

Do you use it for driving your mount as well?

Ian

The Pro version seems to work fine. I'm a manual scope man - I even use setting circles so I don't drive my EQ mount from a computer....!

Chris

Can anyone with Sky Safari Pro advise me how well the moon is covered please? Is it a separate part of the program or is it just part of the general planetarium display? Does it present various terminator positions, or just a zoom-able full globe? I haven't seen this aspect covered in the reviews I've looked at.

Ian

I just checked out mine, the moon is fully zoomable, there's a comprehensive amount of data in the search/inf section, one option i have found is turning "On" labels for Planets and Moons, it show crater/area names for not only our Moon but on a test Jupiter's Ganymede/Europa and a couple of name on Callisto, so yes it does cover Moon's in some detail..........

I have SkysafariPlus, and also just a moon app called appropriately enough Moon Atlas on both my IPad Air and IPhone 6+. Skysafari does label the moon features, but I have to say doesn't zoom in well, so it doesn't hold up to well to close scrutiny. Moon atlas looks very clear pretty much all the way down to maximum zoom. Also, it is only as you zoom in do you get more labels on the craters, so seeing the moon surface still is very easy, whereas Skysafri becomes just a mass of labels. On Moon atlas also when you tap on any crater, it gives you info on it, and also shows any sub craters too associated with it.

This is from Moon atlas, showing region around Rupes Recta;

post-46997-0-63365000-1448121666_thumb.p

This is from SkysafariPlus showing roughly the same region. Not sure if the Pro version brings it up any better;

post-46997-0-61110100-1448121904_thumb.p

Not sure if Moon Atlas is available on Android though as I don't have an Android.

SkysafariPro is £29.99 in the UK, whereas Moon atlas was just over £4. I love Skysafari, but for looking close up at features on the moon, and showing the terminator line in better detail then Moon atlas beats Skysafari hands down in my eyes, unless the Pro version has a much better map of the moon that holds up well to zooming in, which I don't know. Either way I wouldn't have paid for the Pro version as that is way to much for what I wanted it to do. Much prefer the stand alone Moon atlas app to see the moon better, at 1/7 of the price of SkysafariPro at least.

Thanks for taking the time to do the comparison Knighty2112. I agree, if the choice is between SkySafari Plus and Moon Atlas, then Moon Atlas is miles ahead. I'll give it a look.

Ian

Edit. It looks as though Moon Atlas is iOS only. For Android, there is Lunar Map3D, but I don't think it is the same, and there are comments by some users that it is a fake moon! There is Lunar Map lite which doesn't have many written comments in the review section, but which looks promising.

Ian

Archived