stargazine_ep46_banner.thumb.jpg.34e6cdd5a0856b006a0b47c6373eb9b1.jpg

Hi everyone,

I just received great news from a friend who is selling his CPC 1100 + celestron focal reducer 0.63 + Feather touch focuser for a total price of US$ 1500.00.

He also told me that the telescope is Hyperstar ready.

I now have a Nexstar 6SE + ZWO ASI 174 MC camera, which I mainly for planetary view and AP, and if the sky is good enough, for DSO + a focal 0.63x reducer.

I´m sure this is a great deal, and a great oportunity to do an upgrade. He is a good friend of mine, and he is always very carefull with his telescope, which was bought in 2011.

What do you think about this deal? Are there any important details that I should look out on a scope like this?

Thanks in advance,

Guillermo

Sounds like a good deal, but consider whether your mount is up to it (sorry, I can't see your kit on my phone). The C1100 is a big beast.

Also, from what I have read, do not assume Hyperstar is as easy or ideal as it sounds!!

• Like 1

Thank you all for your opinions!

I forgot to mention that the deal is not only fot the OTA, it also includes the fork mount (alt-az), and tripod legs.

Also, buying that scope in my country (Lima-Perú), where we don´t have any scope suppliers, would cost me a fortune. I would say at least 3000$ with shipping, and taxes. Adding a focal reducer or focuser may cost a bit more.

This is why I am so interested! :D

I have 2 questions:

- Is there any significant difference between an 11" EDGE HD, and this one? Specially, if the scope will be used 75/100 for astrophotography.

- What are the cons of using hyperstar with this scope? I read hyperstar would improve the scope´s F10 to F2, and would greatly increase it´s field of view for astrophotography.

- By using hyperstar, some cables will block a little light from the primary mirror. Is this loss significant? If so, are there any solutions for this?

Thanks! :D

Thank you all for your opinions!

I forgot to mention that the deal is not only fot the OTA, it also includes the fork mount (alt-az), and tripod legs.

Also, buying that scope in my country (Lima-Perú), where we don´t have any scope suppliers, would cost me a fortune. I would say at least 3000$ with shipping, and taxes. Adding a focal reducer or focuser may cost a bit more.

This is why I am so interested! :D

I have 2 questions:

- Is there any significant difference between an 11" EDGE HD, and this one? Specially, if the scope will be used 75/100 for astrophotography.

- What are the cons of using hyperstar with this scope? I read hyperstar would improve the scope´s F10 to F2, and would greatly increase it´s field of view for astrophotography.

- By using hyperstar, some cables will block a little light from the primary mirror. Is this loss significant? If so, are there any solutions for this?

Thanks! :D

Large SCTs are not a good choice for AP. They are everything that you don't want.... long focal length, slow f-ratio, big, heavy and alt-az mounted (using a wedge is more than patience can bear). I had a 10" Meade LX200 on a wedge for a couple of years, I'd never want another one.

Hyperstar, you might want to ask yourself why there are so few good images posted on forums and so few people using the system?

Edited by wuthton
  • Like 1