Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kielder Water

DiamondSmiles

Living in Portsmouth UK, I have very poor polluted skies, so it was a real eye opener for me when I spent a few days on the edges of Kielder Water, Northumberland last week. For about 95% of the time it rained. However for 3 hours one evening the sky cleared and the stars came out and sparkled like I have never seen them before. Gave me my first ever chance to try and take some astro shots of the night sky, one of which is below. How I wish I could take the skies home with me!

post-25647-0-87487400-1447867233_thumb.j

That's a really nice and beautiful photo. I really like the background, it also makes a nice contrast with night sky which is full of stars. Also Pleiades (M45) appears distinguished from the whole night sky very beautifully. :smiley:

That's a really nice and beautiful photo. I really like the background, it also makes a nice contrast with night sky which is full of stars. Also Pleiades (M45) appears distinguished from the whole night sky very beautifully. :smiley:

Living in Portsmouth UK, I have very poor polluted skies, so it was a real eye opener for me when I spent a few days on the edges of Kielder Water, Northumberland last week. For about 95% of the time it rained. However for 3 hours one evening the sky cleared and the stars came out and sparkled like I have never seen them before. Gave me my first ever chance to try and take some astro shots of the night sky, one of which is below. How I wish I could take the skies home with me!

attachicon.gifrsz_1dsc_1858.jpg

Geroff!! and leave our skies alone you southeners are welcome to visit but you are not allowed to pinch our skies and views :evil:  :evil:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Regards 

Robin

Oh go on, just a couple of hours a month. We'll build you a nice new railway track in return :laugh:

OK its a deal BUT it has to be a STEAM railway !! v :evil:  :grin:  :grin: 

Regards

Robin 

It is a pity the weather is pretty grim lots of the time at Kielder.

I only live an hour away, and I've only been up there twice, both visits in Rain.

However, when it is good, it is fantastic, and anyone visiting and staying for a week, will get a break

at some time, then those Crystal Clear skies become a canvas for the thousands of diamond stars we all

crave for. If you want Deep Sky  images to die for, Kielder is the place, but put your Order in for clear

skies first. If you don't get them. there is always the Big Observatory to Visit.

Lots of Historical attractions in Cumbria too.

Ron.

It is a pity the weather is pretty grim lots of the time at Kielder.

I only live an hour away, and I've only been up there twice, both visits in Rain.

However, when it is good, it is fantastic, and anyone visiting and staying for a week, will get a break

at some time, then those Crystal Clear skies become a canvas for the thousands of diamond stars we all

crave for. If you want Deep Sky  images to die for, Kielder is the place, but put your Order in for clear

skies first. If you don't get them. there is always the Big Observatory to Visit.

Lots of Historical attractions in Cumbria too.

Ron.

I guess the skies in Cumbria are good enough that you would want guaranteed clear skies for the night to warrant the drive.  Now that I live under the orange skies of Dudley I will drive for hours just to get an hour of dark skies.

I guess the skies in Cumbria are good enough that you would want guaranteed clear skies for the night to warrant the drive.  Now that I live under the orange skies of Dudley I will drive for hours just to get an hour of dark skies.

I reckon Dudley would  be pretty polluted. The orange sky glow is pretty depressing  for observer and imager both.

We are not as densely populated as the Midlands, and a programme is underway to stop illuminating the sky with inefficient street lamps.

Kelling was great the two visits I've made there a few years ago, but I understand pollution is starting to encroach there now too.

:mad: .

We go camping at Kielder every for 2 nights 2 weeks apart from winter when the site is closed. There has been quite a few times when we have had clear skies all night and I agree it is stunning. But when it rains it certainly rains.

Archived