Changing My Mind Every 2 Minutes...

Hi All,

So, after years of hint dropping, my wife has said she wants to get me a telescope for Christmas. She thought she saw a good offer but wanted me to check beforehand.

So, off I go to the website (Groupon) and whilst the info available on it seemed good (for a complete & utter novice like me) I did the sensible thing & read some reviews. Needless to say, Ive told her not to get one as a mouse sneeze will render it useless (amongst other things).

So, having read reviews etc I set my heart on a preowned TAL-1 as it fit in my budget - around £50 but alas, none in my local area.

I have seen what looks to be another TAL telescope in my local area, but the equatorial guide & guide scope brack need replacing.

I've then read about the Heritage 100P which really looks ideal for me, but its outside my price range.

If I went for the Russain model which needs repairs, it could end up costing more than the 100P model but I really like the look of it, n

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks happy-kat I'll keep an eye on there too. I am wondering if its worthwhile trying to up my budget over the next months & try to get something around the £100 bracket.

I know to avoid Tasco & others by reading this forum, its been a valuable insight & thanks to everyone whos posted & giving me options to consider

There are four Tal 1's on fleabay at the moment. There are two, which are of the modern type(ie: 1.25" focuser, eyepieces etc). Both seem good buys, with all the original added extras, going by the photo's and descriptions.

One is in Worcester, the other in Wigston(near Leicester?) . Impossible to tell what condition the mirrors are in, but as long as they haven't been abused, should be okay, I'd guess. As long as there's no nasty scratches, a bit of dust never did any harm and nothing a gentle wash wouldn't cure.

I've said it MANY times before and I'll say it again. If I was forced to be left with only my Tal 1, I wouldn't be dissapointed. Great scopes that'll last a lifetime.

Andy.

edit: A fair price for a more modern Tal-1, in good condition, with all the factory included accessories? I'd say somewhere between £50 to £80.

Good Morning all,

Many thanks for the replies. Binoculars were a consideration, however I do not have a steady hand at all, so its put me off.

Andy, thanks. I did spot both of those but both are a 5+ hour round trip. With the run up to Christmas I cant spare the time. There is one on there from British Heart Foundation, its listed as TASCO but I think its a TAL model. Its local but it is the one that needs a few repairs, and I wouldnt know where to start. Being a novice, Id prefer to have someone show me how to repair it, on the basis the mirrors are ok.

TAL do seem like the hidden gem, and I think I'd prefer to wait for the right one to come along rather than get another brand, but the 100P is still tempting

Can you do DIY.

Another member did only a week back, bought a telescope tube from astroboot and made a DIY dobsonian base for it in an afternoon out of materials they had already.

£50 would buy a telescope, one 20mm eyepiece and a red dot finder. You build the base.

The BHF one, doesn't have the greatest pics of the areas that count.  Also it states "Unfortunately we are unable to offer collection of the items in person." That kinda sucks and I'd be worried how it well packaged it would be during delivery. I think I'd give that one a miss, to be honest. A handful of Tal 1's seem to come up every month on ebay.  Perhaps best to wait til one comes on nearer you. Check Gumtree, for local listings of telescopes. I often see them on there too.  A wanted ad on http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/might come up trumps. You never know, someone might be looking to offload a little used Tal 1 might respond.

If possible always try to get a later model. Creates less hassles down the road.

The quickest way to age a Tal 1 is by the focuser.  eg: Look at the focuser pic in this ebay ad.....   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191738056196?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT  9th pic along. Note the flange on the focuser, where there's a thumbscrew to hold the eyepiece. This signifies a 1.25" fitting, therefore a later model.

Now look at this listing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161884356012?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT5th pic showing the focuser. The obvious chromed interior of the focuser tells that is an early model, that accepts Tal's eyepieces that were of 32mm outside diameter. These ep's are a slip fit & are held securely by a split ring at the top of the focuser tube.

The BHF one, doesn't have the greatest pics of the areas that count.  Also it states "Unfortunately we are unable to offer collection of the items in person." That kinda sucks and I'd be worried how it well packaged it would be during delivery. I think I'd give that one a miss, to be honest. A handful of Tal 1's seem to come up every month on ebay.  Perhaps best to wait til one comes on nearer you. Check Gumtree, for local listings of telescopes. I often see them on there too.  A wanted ad on http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/might come up trumps. You never know, someone might be looking to offload a little used Tal 1 might respond.

If possible always try to get a later model. Creates less hassles down the road.

The quickest way to age a Tal 1 is by the focuser.  eg: Look at the focuser pic in this ebay ad.....   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191738056196?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT  9th pic along. Note the flange on the focuser, where there's a thumbscrew to hold the eyepiece. This signifies a 1.25" fitting, therefore a later model.

Now look at this listing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161884356012?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT5th pic showing the focuser. The obvious chromed interior of the focuser tells that is an early model, that accepts Tal's eyepieces that were of 32mm outside diameter. These ep's are a slip fit & are held securely by a split ring at the top of the focuser tube.

Thanks AndyH, yeah I think I'll leave the BHF one for the above reasons. Too risky to blow my budget to also have other things wrong with it.

Good idea on the posting on ABSUK site, may take a look at that.

I'll keep looking for a TAL-1, everyone seems to appreciate how good they are that they tend to be kept (ideal to pass to my kids when I move to different models later).  

Getting a scope that needs repair might end up being an expensive way to do it - depending on what's broken and how much time and skill you have in DIY.

I'm eye'ing up the Heratige 100p myself as it does look like a cracking scope.  (I've been flipflopping between that and the 130p, but am edging towards the 100p)

Whilst it might blow your £50 budget, I've seen the smaller version and it looks like a fantastic little scope.  The 100p will be a bit more powerful, but it looks like it'll also be a fantastic scope.

Either way, I think would be good.  Which is best, well, can't help you with that one.

I'm eye'ing up the Heratige 100p myself as it does look like a cracking scope.  (I've been flipflopping between that and the 130p, but am edging towards the 100p)

Whilst it might blow your £50 budget, I've seen the smaller version and it looks like a fantastic little scope.  The 100p will be a bit more powerful, but it looks like it'll also be a fantastic scope.

If I were you, I would definitely save a little more to buy 130p instead of 100p.

The reason is simple, there have some site members who bought 100p earlier this year (a search in forum for 100p will find some threads), none of those is actively using this scope now (some have sold it), while 130p do have quite members still using it, despite that they have other scopes.

Hi All,

So, after years of hint dropping, my wife has said she wants to get me a telescope for Christmas. She thought she saw a good offer but wanted me to check beforehand.

So, off I go to the website (Groupon) and whilst the info available on it seemed good (for a complete & utter novice like me) I did the sensible thing & read some reviews. Needless to say, Ive told her not to get one as a mouse sneeze will render it useless (amongst other things).

So, having read reviews etc I set my heart on a preowned TAL-1 as it fit in my budget - around £50 but alas, none in my local area.

I have seen what looks to be another TAL telescope in my local area, but the equatorial guide & guide scope brack need replacing.

I've then read about the Heritage 100P which really looks ideal for me, but its outside my price range.

If I went for the Russain model which needs repairs, it could end up costing more than the 100P model but I really like the look of it, n

I know this is a little over twice the budget you have set, so I apologise for that in advance, but it might be worth saving the extra for either the 100P or even a bit more for an Explorer 130. 

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-explorer-130.html

The Explorer is a scope that will last you a while, it's not physically small though, but it is very good for what it is. 

Wow, I really can't thank you all enough for all the advice & feedback, its amazing the responses the responses you've all given.

Happy-kat, the scope looks tempting but it did raise a point, with the John Lewis ad, lots of people will be looking for a scope this xmas so it may be worth waiting until after to pick up an 'unwanted gift'.

On another subject, has anyone seen the Star Wars John Lewis ad on youtube?

Second item on astroboot is a 100p on a heritage 130p dob base for £40.

http://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoot

But further down there's a 130p optical tube for £35 which will make a nice upgrade when you've got the cash, it will go on that dob base nicely.

Yup love the Star Wars parody of that ad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you do DIY.

Another member did only a week back, bought a telescope tube from astroboot and made a DIY dobsonian base for it in an afternoon out of materials they had already.

£50 would buy a telescope, one 20mm eyepiece and a red dot finder. You build the base.

Hi,

If you look on AstroBoot there is a 100p on a 130 base for £40 (you'd need a couple of eyepieces) or even better a 130p ota (just the tube, you'd have to build the base). There are others too but prices start going up and you'd still need eps.

I'm the one happy-Kat mentions above - 150p ota in pretty much perfect condition for £50 was a great bargain! [emoji3]

Clear skies!

Dazzyt

Skywatcher 150P

Hey All & Good Morning,

I can do spots of DIY but knowing my luck I would end up breaking something on the scope attempting to build a base. It is a good buy though & one I will be keeping my eye on if its still around.

Has anyone had experience of item 181565645136 on flea bay? I cant tell if its any good or just clever marketing.

Thanks again for all your feedback

Archived