SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newly arrived Pentax 12x50s

F15Rules

I've been wanting some slightly more powerful bins (higher magnification, better contrast) for a little while now. I have been using an excellent pair of Tento 7x50s for about a year, and they are optically excellent with sharpness out to about 80% to the edge of the c5.5degree field, but with moderate light pollution and an exit pupil of 7 in the Tentos, I wanted a spec that would maximise the views for my late fifty-something eyes..

After a lot of looking at various reviews and sites, including Mr Tonkins' excellent reviews, I decided on the Pentax SP 12x50/WPII's, slightly more magnification than the 10x50s reviewed by Steve.

I know 10x50 is often cited as the ideal all rounder spec, but as I only intend to use these for astronomy, I went for these, offering a 4.2 degree field and an exit pupil of 4.2 - ideal for someone my age, and with nice dark sky background even from my semi-urban location.

First impressions are good, both of build and views, but skies have been poor here since they arrived so proper first light will have to wait.

I can handhold these ok, there is some shake but bracing greatly helps. And I will use my trusty Ravelli tripod and trigger grip for much of my viewing.

I'll post more soon, but in the meantime here are a couple of pictures taken on my phone:-)

Dave

post-4043-0-13424500-1447708750_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-71087900-1447708778_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-39165900-1447708807_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-04308000-1447708859_thumb.jp

Look very nice. I got some Strathspey 7 X 50 Marine binoculars a few weeks ago. Not had too much chance to use them fully yet with the weather, and tend to still favour my Celestron Skywatcher 15 X 70's for scoping the night sky still. Think I might invest in a swivel head piece like yours to go o my camera tripod too.

I'm finding the eye positioning OK, but it does take a little getting used to. I like to push my eyes close up to the eyepieces and the twist eyecup function let's me do that without my eyelashes touching the lens.

I really like the focus lock function, again it takes a little practice not to knock the focus a bit whilst engaging the lock, but it's a nice feature. And the right diopter has stepped click adjustments which are good too.

Lens coatings are excellent and daylight views of a nearby aerial mast are sharp almost to the edge..

All good so far! - just need the wind to drop and the skies to clear now!

Dave

I got some Strathspey 7 X 50 Marine binoculars a few weeks ago. 

.....me too!

I ordered both the 7x50s and the 10x50s, returning the 7x50s soley on the fact that my Helios  8x40s have a wider field of view, nevertheless, the 7x50s were still very good.

As for swivel heads, my best purchase  this Year to-date was for a Manfrotto 222, its appears in  mint condition, works very well, its clean, doesn't smell, no pets/tobacco?  and not a word mentioned in the advert about  the branding, so it sometimes pays to widen your search when goggling or on the bay auction site! best of luck in finding something.

I  favour the  Manfrotto  over my 3LT system for mounting binoculars, due to the horizontal  positioning of the centre column.

.....me too!

I ordered both the 7x50s and the 10x50s, returning the 7x50s soley on the fact that my Helios 8x40s have a wider field of view, nevertheless, the 7x50s were still very good.

As for swivel heads, my best purchase this Year to-date was for a Manfrotto 222, its appears in mint condition, works very well, its clean, doesn't smell, no pets/tobacco? and not a word mentioned in the advert about the branding, so it sometimes pays to widen your search when goggling or on the bay auction site! best of luck in finding something.

I favour the Manfrotto over my 3LT system for mounting binoculars, due to the horizontal positioning of the centre column.

Got them from their site on eBay, and luckily when I was looking they were having a sale on them, so got the Marines for for £89.99, which was £30 less than what they normally go for. I also order up some of their general 12 X 50 binoculars too to replace my old 12 X 50's that were starting to show their age, and got £10 of their normal price too.

I really need a good camera tripod to replace my old one I have. Was looking at the Manfrotto tripods, but scared off by the prices! Maybe I need to have a good scout around for a second hand one like you! :)

Dave, one suggestion: reverse the trigger-grip so the trigger is at the objective end of the binos, so you operate it with your fingers: much easier to control. (In case you haven't discovered this, the entire body can rotate on the ball-socket if you squeeze the trigger, so you can keep the slot at the eyepiece end.) This also means that the thumb-latch for the QR head is actually accessible to your thumb! :grin:

Also, I have written a comprehensive user-manual for the trigger-grip; it is in the Choosing & Using section of my website (see sig).

Dave, one suggestion: reverse the trigger-grip so the trigger is at the objective end of the binos, so you operate it with your fingers: much easier to control. (In case you haven't discovered this, the entire body can rotate on the ball-socket if you squeeze the trigger, so you can keep the slot at the eyepiece end.) This also means that the thumb-latch for the QR head is actually accessible to your thumb! :grin:

Also, I have written a comprehensive user-manual for the trigger-grip; it is in the Choosing & Using section of my website (see sig).

Hi Steve,

Well spotted! :grin: ...feel a bit silly now, I haven't used the tripod/grip for a while and just bunged the new binos on it quickly to take a few shots, and completely missed that I had the grip back to front. All sorted now!

And thanks for the heads up on your user manual, I will be sure to check that out properly soon.

I had a quick first light look at the Moon tonight (with the grip the right way round! :p ) and noticed something slightly odd..at first look, there was a noticeable amount of CA in the view in the form of a mainly yellow ring around the lit side of the moon's globe..but after adjusting the IPD distance outwards a bit to better suit my eyes and get a more comfortable view, the CA largely disappeared, to a level I find acceptable and in line with what I would have expected, ie not much at all. The terminator was very crisp and lots of detail visible. Also had a brief look at a few stars and they focus down to nice, sharp points, with clearly visible colours from white through to bright orange depending on the stellar class of the star. I would say that the night sky field sharpness is very good out to about 80-85% of the field, so I am very happy with that. Contrast is excellent, just as I had hoped it would be with slightly higher magnification.

I bought these online for £105 shipped, and am delighted with them at that price. They look, feel and view like good quality binos, and are very manageable. I am really liking the focus lock feature, as well as the micro-stepped right diopter adjustment.

Happy to recommend these bins to anyone who wants them mainly for night time use. For more general purpose use a 7x50 or 10x50 might be better given their wider field, but for astro use these tick all my boxes :laugh: ..

Dave

I had a quick first light look at the Moon tonight (with the grip the right way round! :p ) and noticed something slightly odd..at first look, there was a noticeable amount of CA in the view in the form of a mainly yellow ring around the lit side of the moon's globe..but after adjusting the IPD distance outwards a bit to better suit my eyes and get a more comfortable view, the CA largely disappeared, to a level I find acceptable

This is a very common phenomenon: some binoculars are remarkably sensitive to eye placement for CA.

Yep, the 20x60s are very sensitive to ipd and eye position but you quickly get the knack with it.

The one that bit me recently was the Opticron Adventurer 10x50. I was reviewing it for TBS, and was really impressed with it. Earlier this month I was reviewing a different one for somewhere else, and the images I was getting were vile. Was this really bad consistency at the factory or had I just been stunningly incompetent the first time round? Neither: I was also testing a tripod, so I had the bino mounted on that; couldn't get my head in exactly the right place; once I'd sorted it,it was back to the impressiveness I'd experienced first time.

Archived