SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SA100-first shots

Patryk

The top spectrum calibration looks OK judging by the H alpha and H beta emissions. The others will be ok if you used the same dispersion (grating spacing & orientation and use zero order as reference etc).  Stacking and/or longer exposures would reduce noise.

They look pretty good for "first serious shots". 

regards

John

• 9 months later...

WW Psc .. what kind of star is it? It obviusly can't be nor a Wolf Rayet or a Be. Simbad says "Long-period variable star". Striking emission lines....

Here is our attempt  with  WR 136 : http://www.alexstargazing.net/spectra/20151107_wr136.html

You never stop learning in spectroscopy:color:... unfortunately we (me and Marco) had to temporarily stop our spectroscopy activity... looking forward to start this amazing activity again.

Which software are you using for processing spectra?

(I apologize for my bad English, not my native language - still learning!:smiley:)

Great job!Alex

WW Psc .. what kind of star is it? It obviusly can't be nor a Wolf Rayet or a Be. Simbad says "Long-period variable star". Striking emission lines....

Here is our attempt  with  WR 136 : http://www.alexstargazing.net/spectra/20151107_wr136.html

You never stop learning in spectroscopy:color:... unfortunately we (me and Marco) had to temporarily stop our spectroscopy activity... looking forward to start this amazing activity again.

Which software are you using for processing spectra?

(I apologize for my bad English, not my native language - still learning!:smiley:)

Great job!

Alex

• 2 years later...

Hi Patryk,

Nice first light spectra!  Can you describe the setup are you using ?  The two spikes at roughly H alpha, beta in WW PSc look very sharp, much narrower than the typical resolution of the Star Analyser ( have you checked they are not single hot pixels.)

The way to wavelength calibrate Star Analyser spectra is to record a hot  main sequence star (Av or Bv) and use the zero order and the clear Hydrogen Balmer lines. You can also use the same star to compensate for the instrument response (and atmospheric extinction provided the target is roughly at the same altitude as the reference)

Cheers

Robin

Archived