SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Coloured filters

Hi all. After an observing session last night with my 120mm refractor on M42 in Orion, I ended up trying to view it with some cheap Seben coloured filters for my EP's that I had bought a couple of years ago off Amazon but hardly ever used. I found that when I used the yellow filter ( I have a red, blue and a grey one too in this set) I got some better contrast when viewing the nebula than I did when I used my New UHC nebula filter, and also my light pollution filter too. These filters were supposed to enhance planetary views, but I never really saw much difference when I viewed the planets with them, but on M42 it certainly did.

Does anyone else notice any difference with any other coloured filters on other objects that you have viewed? Just curious! :)

I find that my green filter improves the view when I observe Venus, and that my yellow filter improves the view when I observe Mars and Jupiter.

I'll have to check Mars and Jupiter with the yellow filter again, as I have a larger scope than when I last tried them. Hopefully at some point this week if the skies are clear in the early morning I can check them out.

Coloured filters weren't to my liking - neodymium and uhc both help for me, but the uhc really comes alive at a dark site much more than my backgarden.

Yeah, I'm not seeing a massive amount of difference with the UHC filter in my garden either. It may perform much better at a dark site also. Need to check that out at some point also.

Occasionally I will use coloured filters to help highlight certain features on the planets, but once a feature becomes subtly obvious I remove the filter, as they always have a detrimental effect on the image.

I've never used colour filters on nebulae but I have used nebula filters on the planets. Hydrogen beta for example is quite a good filter for observing Mars, but only to help highlight the features, then remove the filter and usually the features remain observable.

Mike

I was observing M42 with my 120mm refractor last week. I tried my O-III filter on it and the central regions became much more pronouced, almost burned out in fact. I could trace the fainter tendrils further out than without a filter though. I then tried my DGM NBP (a UHC type) filter on it and that was a more satisfying view with the portions of the nebula opposite the dark rift and the Trapezium cluster being more enhanced in contrast but still showing contrast and structure but also the further flung stands of nebulosity being more extended in appearance. Generally I prefer viewing M42 without a filter but on this occasion the Omega DGM NBP filter presented it best I felt :smiley:

When I wanted to see the E & F components of the Trapezium I found removing the filter was needed with the 120mm aperture. When viewing with my 12" dob E & F are plain even with a filter.

I don't find plain coloured filters help with nebulae and I don't find them that helpful with the planets either. I prefer filterless views of these objects and in general in fact, unless the use of a filter enables things to be seen that just can't be seen otherwise.

I was observing M42 with my 120mm refractor last week. I tried my O-III filter on it and the central regions became much more pronouced, almost burned out in fact. I could trace the fainter tendrils further out than without a filter though. I then tried my DGM NBP (a UHC type) filter on it and that was a more satisfying view with the portions of the nebula opposite the dark rift and the Trapezium cluster being more enhanced in contrast but still showing contrast and structure but also the further flung stands of nebulosity being more extended in appearance. Generally I prefer viewing M42 without a filter but on this occasion the Omega DGM NBP filter presented it best I felt :smiley:

When I wanted to see the E & F components of the Trapezium I found removing the filter was needed with the 120mm aperture. When viewing with my 12" dob E & F are plain even with a filter.

I don't find plain coloured filters help with nebulae and I don't find them that helpful with the planets either. I prefer filterless views of these objects and in general in fact, unless the use of a filter enables things to be seen that just can't be seen otherwise.

What eyepiece/Barlow combination did you use on your 120mm refractor to view the E & F stars in the Traipezium? With my 2 x Barlow with my 6mm eyepiece fitted I can't see them, unless you need extremely steady and clear skies to view them?

What eyepiece/Barlow combination did you use on your 120mm refractor to view the E & F stars in the Traipezium? With my 2 x Barlow with my 6mm eyepiece fitted I can't see them, unless you need extremely steady and clear skies to view them?

I found 8mm and 6.3mm focal length eyepieces worked best to see the E & F stars on that occasion. Thats 113x and 143x. The eyepieces were nothing fancy - the short end of a Celestron 24mm - 8mm zoom and a TAL 6.3mm plossl.

I find that the E & F Trapezium stars need "just right" magnification to see them with smaller aperture scopes, not too much and not too little. Here is a little map of the Trapezium which may help - it's a newtonian view so you will need to flip it to get the refractor view:

post-118-0-68277200-1447702004.png

I found 8mm and 6.3mm focal length eyepieces worked best to see the E & F stars on that occasion. Thats 113x and 143x. The eyepieces were nothing fancy - the short end of a Celestron 24mm - 8mm zoom and a TAL 6.3mm plossl.

I find that the E & F Trapezium stars need "just right" magnification to see them with smaller aperture scopes, not too much and not too little. Here is a little map of the Trapezium which may help - it's a newtonian view so you will need to flip it to get the refractor view:

Thanks John. I'll experiment next time I get the chance to view. At mags just over 10 they will be extremely dim I guess. I do plan on getting an 8mm EP at some point. My 6mm EP is a Celestron Omni Plossl, so should be fine to see them also. Maybe I just need to stare a little bit harder! :)

I've never liked colour filters, for any use. On the correct target something like an OIII is a different matter - I shall never forget my view of the veil with 100mm ED, OIII and a dark sky ;)

Yeah, the Veil is a target for me with my new scope too. May not see it until I get to a dark sky site, but I'll give it a crack. I'm sure at some stage I will get an OIII filter, but at this stage there are a few more things I want to get, so that is currently quite low down in my list of things for the scope.

I think I need more aperture to use any of my Wratten filters well as I have never really been impressed using them on anything. I tried a Neodymium filter on M42 the other night at around 81x, it darkened it very slightly but I quite liked the contrast it gave.

Just curious, but as one of the next items I want to buy is a new 2 inch diagonal for the scope, and as you have 5 different ones in your kit, do you see much difference between maybe the top end ones you have, as opposed to the less expensive ones like maybe the Celestron and Skywatcher ones?

Just curious, but as one of the next items I want to buy is a new 2 inch diagonal for the scope, and as you have 5 different ones in your kit, do you see much difference between maybe the top end ones you have, as opposed to the less expensive ones like maybe the Celestron and Skywatcher ones?

Knighty2112 I know this wasn't for me but thought I would open my large mouth to give you my feedback.  I changed my standard Celestron diagonal to the 2" XLT Celestron version which is a lovely premium diagonal with high reflectivity coating.  I chose this one as it screwed straight onto rear of OTA.

It is a lovely bit of kit and the use of 2" EPs really opens up the viewing experience - I love just sitting at the EP and taking in lower power views, and despite being an SCT there is not too much that doesn't fit in.  Does the diagonal show me more using my 1.25" EPs - probably not, not that I have noticed any way.  Was it a worthwhile upgrade - YES, 2" EPs and a much sturdier hold, plus I put a 2" nosepiece on my Baader zoom so only had to buy 2" filters and they cover my whole viewing options.

Don't expect a new diagonal to make things you couldn't see before pop out, but do expect it to be a worthwhile purchase if it is made for the right reasons.

Knighty2112 I know this wasn't for me but thought I would open my large mouth to give you my feedback.  I changed my standard Celestron diagonal to the 2" XLT Celestron version which is a lovely premium diagonal with high reflectivity coating.  I chose this one as it screwed straight onto rear of OTA.

It is a lovely bit of kit and the use of 2" EPs really opens up the viewing experience - I love just sitting at the EP and taking in lower power views, and despite being an SCT there is not too much that doesn't fit in.  Does the diagonal show me more using my 1.25" EPs - probably not, not that I have noticed any way.  Was it a worthwhile upgrade - YES, 2" EPs and a much sturdier hold, plus I put a 2" nosepiece on my Baader zoom so only had to buy 2" filters and they cover my whole viewing options.

Don't expect a new diagonal to make things you couldn't see before pop out, but do expect it to be a worthwhile purchase if it is made for the right reasons.

Thanks. I'll check it out. :)

One of the best lower cost 2" diagonals I've owned was a Revelation 2" Dielectric. They are also sold under other brandings such as Altair Astro, Telescope Services and one or two others. I found the optical quality to be on par with more expensive William Optics and Istar diagonals and the build quality was pretty good as well. They are actually made by GSO I think.

New they cost around £75.00 but I've seen them on the used market for £50 or so. I used to use one of these on my Skywatcher ED120 refractor for a good 18 months and it didn't dissapoint.

Sorry, this is a bit off-topic from coloured filters.

One of the best lower cost 2" diagonals I've owned was a Revelation 2" Dielectric. They are also sold under other brandings such as Altair Astro, Telescope Services and one or two others. I found the optical quality to be on par with more expensive William Optics and Istar diagonals and the build quality was pretty good as well. They are actually made by GSO I think.

New they cost around £75.00 but I've seen them on the used market for £50 or so. I used to use one of these on my Skywatcher ED120 refractor for a good 18 months and it didn't dissapoint.

Sorry, this is a bit off-topic from coloured filters.

Thanks for that John. I was looking at the Altair Astro one already too. I was me who derailed my own thread anyway, so no worries! :)

Archived