Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A long try at some nebulae

jetstream

Tonight's targets included IC1396 and IC443, these were my goals. Sorry to say I couldn't pull those two out.... a few more tries and maybe. While searching ( and failing) IC1396 I took a sky cruise up into Cepheus.

and then there were 2 small, faint shadows :grin: , for sure a nebula. I ran inside to check some maps and I'm 95% sure it was a portion of Sh2-137. I revisted the object a few times to make sure I wasn't seeing things, there it was every time. So a new one on the books.

The Orion nebula was huge, green and bright, very bright- the core was a dazzling, swirling green so I figured I'd check out the Flame neb, there she was displaying the tank tracks in all there glory...so... off to Alnitak with the Astronomik Hb and the TV25mm plossl.

IC434 displayed itself immediately- a very good sign- I followed the neb line until the most underwhelming B33 came into view- another capture of the Horses Head :smiley:

I spent about three hours staring at places that should have shown something, but it sure doesn't hurt to take a peek around the sky, you never know what you'll find. :smiley:

Excellent report :smiley:  Gerry.

Any eyepiece(s) on HH other than 25mm and the zoom?

IC1396 and IC443 are quite different, you might be better using 120ED to better find and frame IC1396 (over 2 degrees), both UCH and OIII should help; while IC443 are quite smaller, UHC is helpful here. And they should be easier to see than HH, though more difficult to find.

Excellent report :smiley:  Gerry.

Any eyepiece(s) on HH other than 25mm and the zoom?

IC1396 and IC443 are quite different, you might be better using 120ED to better find and frame IC1396 (over 2 degrees), both UCH and OIII should help; while IC443 are quite smaller, UHC is helpful here. And they should be easier to see than HH, though more difficult to find.

Thanks Yong.

I tried the 32mm plossl with the Hb in Auriga, the results indicated no need to try on the HH.... the floating ER bothers me and contrast was down, not sure why. My Hb + scope+ my eyes seem to be fussy on the mag of eyepiece used, so far I have 2 that work well in this role, thankfully. I plan to try the 18BCO/UHC some more on this object, under ideal conditions it might work, my zoom too...

It's kind of strange how some EP's of the same focal length work better with filters than others (?).

The 3 days of rain has stopped, temps falling and the sky is temporarily clear (very). Off to try IC443 again.... before tomorrows snow.

1396 is one of the biggest nebulae up there (barnards loop is bigger). I reckon I just hooked the elephants trunk in 1396 at a recent starparty (well both I and a friend both reckoned we saw the same thing… shorter focal length scope needed probably.

443, the jellyfish, is quite neat and curved, there is a fainter bit that completes the circle but I've had no luck with it.

More targets in Cepheus…sharpless129/132/142/157 the cocoon and my friends fave ngc7822+ced214 (he likes it as he has previously taken a great image of the region).

Cheers, keep pushing the envelope…

Peter

Archived